No sound on 8.2

I recently installed 8.2 and can not get sound to work. I am running a Toshiba Satellite L675D. The output of [cmd=]cat /dev/sndstat[/cmd] are:

Code:
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 32bit 2009061500/i386)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <HDA ATI RS690/780 HDMI PCM #0 HDMI> (play) default
pcm1: <HDA Realtek ALC269 PCM #0 Analog> (play/rec)
pcm2: <HDA Realtek ALC269 PCM #1 Analog> (rec)
It may be worth mentioning that when I boot up KDE I get an error message asking if I want to permanently forget about these devices. Obviously the hardware is being picked up but I believe I am loading the wrong kernel modules. I am not sure how to fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It's not the wrong kernel modules, it's using the sound output on your HDMI video card by default. Just change that and it should be fine:
/boot/loader.conf
Code:
hw.snd.default_unit="1"

Thanks for the reply. I added that line to my loader.conf and now see that the analog device is my default after rebooting. Unfortunately I still have no sound though.

After going into the OSS Audio Mixer in KDE I see that there are three devices called "OSS Audio Mixer" I have turned all of them all of the way up and also see options for selecting the master channel. "Volume" was selected by default and I changed it to 'PCM' but to no avail.

Still no go. Something is telling me that KDE shouldn't be thinking that my sound devices were removed. Also note that I tried to play an mp3 file via mplayer on the command line prior to starting KDE. Does the output from /dev/sndstat mean that I am definitely loading all the required kernel modules and therefore just do not have something configured properly?

Yes, you have the right module loaded. It found the hardware and created /dev/dsp.

No idea what KDE does with sound. The Handbook recommends testing by dumping a binary file to /dev/dsp:
# cat [file]filename[/file] > /dev/dsp

I just tried doing the above with an mp3 and still no luck. Do you think I am using an incorrect mixer? I have tried all of them though...no idea on what to do at this point. Would posting my rc.conf and/or loader.conf help at all?

I was able to get my sound working! My /boot/loader.conf now appears as follows:

Code:
sound_load="YES"
snd_uaudio_load="YES"
hw.snd.default_unit="1"
snd_hda_load="YES"

Thanks again for your help wblock

Back