FreeBSD Wallpapers

Don't want to hijack the thread, but the other day I wanted to set an image for my wallpaper, and wasn't able to :r I tried fbsetbg, that worked sort of but I wasn't able to both set the wallpaper in the center and have the rest filled with a background color ... It also returned an error (``An error occurred''. Nothing more...)

What can I say? I've been using the same background color on any machine for 10 years (The Windows 2000 background actually, #3A6EA5, you can say about Windows what you want, but they are *the best* desktop background makers!) I only now found I background image I *may* like.

I use xloadimage which has a -border option that allows you to set the color of the background not covered by an image.

I usually use something like [cmd=c:\>]xsetroot -solid rgb:00/99/99 && Esetroot some/dang/picture.png[/cmd]
I started using Esetroot because it does what I like with regards to translucency in Eterm & aterm, even though I don't bother with those any more. Creature of habit.

I have a question... Is it possible to put a wallpaper on freebsd 7.2?
You know... a picture behond the text, not just a black wall. And can I do this simply without installing gnome and cofiguring 98746841397415838 things I don't need.

gnoma said:
I have a question... Is it possible to put a wallpaper on freebsd 7.2?
You know... a picture behond the text, not just a black wall. And can I do this simply without installing gnome and cofiguring 98746841397415838 things I don't need.

You can't have a wallpaper on the console.

You don't need gnome, you need X and there are quite a few WMs that are far less heavy than gnome. You might try a tiling WM.

I would like my wall paper to be xearth or the likes. Its really a clock and why not make it be a dynamic like wall paper. Just a thought.
gconftool-2 -s --type bool /apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager false 
gconftool-2 -s --type bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop false
gconftool-2 -s --type bool /desktop/background/draw_background false
gconftool-2 -s --type bool /apps/gnome_settings_daemon/plugins/background/active false

Yeah sounds cool, but first...first! let's just see how to put a picture for a begining, and then we can thing about .gif type of pictures and animations :)

Back