Laptop's sound Card Driver

Hello all,

I managed to get FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE installed on my Laptop, which I'm happy about since it's got decent hardware in it and works great with the Video Card so far.

The Sound Card is.... Where I get a little hazy. I literally can't remember which part of this goes into /boot/loader.conf.

So, here is what I did:

Code:
Me@root# kldload snd_driver

Then, once it finished, I did this:

Code:
cat /dev/sndstat

This is the output:

Code:
FreeBSD Audio Driver  (newpcm: 32bit 2009061500/i386)
Installed Devices:
pcm0: <Intel ICH4 (82801DB)> (play/rec) default

OK, so, my issue is that I don't remember which section of that I do after this:

Code:
vi /boot/loader.conf
snd_newpcm_load="YES"

I don't remember which section I add to that file so it loads my driver at boot. It's been a while, and the Sound Card my Laptop has, though a decent one in most OSs, I don't remember which portion I need to add to that /boot/loader.conf file.

Anyway, I just need to know two things:

#1. Which section do I add to the part that says snd_newpcm?

#2. Once done, I can't remember how to play sounds without being root, and I'm kind of half asleep right now, so, either a section of the handbook that works, or, just a quickie "do this" is all fine with me.

That's like literally the ONLY thing I can't remember right now lol.

By the way, 8.1-RELEASE ROCKS!

gore said:
OK, so, my issue is that I don't remember which section of that I do after this:

vi /boot/loader.conf
snd_newpcm_load="YES"

I don't remember which section I add to that file so it loads my driver at boot. It's been a while, and the Sound Card my Laptop has, though a decent one in most OSs, I don't remember which portion I need to add to that boot/loader.conf file.

Hi Gore :)

Just add snd_ich_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf. That's all.

All this does is kldload(8) the snd_ich(4) driver during boot.

There isn't a snd_newpcm. Looking through /boot/defaults/loader.conf, I think you need snd_ich_load="YES".

(Edit: simulpost doh!)

SirDice said:
Hi Gore :)

Just add snd_ich_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf. That's all.

All this does is kldload(8) the snd_ich(4) driver during boot.

So I had it right the first time I looked at should have left ICH... A German forgetting "ich" how "selfless" of me ;) (Ich - "I" in German lol).

Thanks man. Been a LONG one.

Back