Normal Install Failing at Creating Slice/partitions

Okay, I have never seen this one before and searching the error in the forum did not yeild a straight forward solution. Here's the history on installing OS's on my HP G60-125NR laptop.

Came with Vista, upgraded to Win7 over a year ago.
Three days ago loaded FreeBSD 8.1 (boot only iso) and all worked really well. Managed to get wireless going but had trouble getting xorg to configure correctly. Decided (probably a mistake here) to install PC-BSD, which I have played with in the past (when it was first announced). Again after playing with that install decided to go back to FreeBSD.

Standard install, disk slice editor, select A, use entire disk...great...moving to fdisk portion...add my partitions /, /var /data and a swap. Recieved the message"
Code:
Unable to find device node for /dev/ad6s1b in /dev! The creation of filesystems will be aborted.
Now, what gives? I previously installed FreeBSD from this exact same ISO and had no problem. What sort of kluge did PC-BSD (I know, not the right forum, just ranting a little here ;-) place on my file system?

Proceeding on, I Installed Windows 7 back onto the laptop without any problem however, when I boot FreeBSD again, I see the same file system layout as what was there with PC-BSD-even though it was erased and reformatted with the Win 7 install.

I need to delete all slice/partition information so I can re-install FreeBSD. Thoughts, ideas?

Thanks in advance!

This may be due to GPT partitioning on that disk. Partition information is kept not only at the start of the disk, but also at the end. Zeroing out the normal partition table won't get rid of it, but gpart(8) can do it:
# sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16
# gpart destroy -F ad6

Of course the trick there is that you need FreeBSD for gpart. The FreeBSD livefs CD should work for that. No doubt there are Linux and Windows utilities also.

If you're desperate, and have a utility that will do it, zeroing several blocks at the beginning and end of the disk--or the whole disk--should also work.

Thanks Warren,
I was looking at this thread from the FreeBSD email list. Can I just hit single user mode and run the DD command or is it easier to just grab the LiveFS iso?
thanks,
David

If you can get to a command prompt, dd should do it. But if you can get to a command prompt, use gpart. There's a copy in /rescue if the normal one in /sbin won't work.

Yep, had to download the livefs cd. Using that and Fixit, I run
Code:
# gpart destroy -F ad6
but it is coming back as an illegal option.

Code:
Options for: gpart destroy [-f flags] geom
gpart show and gpart list still show ad6 there. If I run a gpart destroy ad6 it just shows "device busy"

any ideas from here?

Okay, I think I got it. After running a gpart show I saw ad6 followed by 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. I ran this command:
Code:
gpart delete -i 1 ad6
to delete the first partition (I think) and followed it with running
Code:
gpart delete -i 2 ad6
Code:
gpart delete -i 3 ad6
Code:
gpart delete -i 4 ad6
Code:
gpart delete -i 5 ad6

And I was finally able to run:
Code:
gpart destroy -fF ad6

It now shows the ad6 slice without GPT assigned to it. Going to try to re-slice edit and re-fdisk this puppy now ;-)

Okay, still getting the error I mentioned in the first post,
Code:
Unable to find device node for /dev/ad6s1b in /dev! The creation of filesystems will be aborted
gpart show still lists ad6 as
Code:
=> 0  1  ad6  (none)  (233G)
followed by:
Code:
0  1    - free -  (512B)

I am still unable to completely remove this thing!

You could use the livefs CD to create the slice and partitions before booting an install CD. sysinstall will let you use existing partitions, you just have to assign mountpoints to them. The first part of Disk Setup On FreeBSD shows how to use fdisk(8) and bsdlabel(8) to create the slice and partitions.

So, I did use the livefs CD to create the slice and partitions, then booted to the install, but it ended in failure again. I read in another post that someone had a similar issue and used the previous version (7x), so I pulled out my 7.3 CD and booted the install disk. I am now able to label and edit the slices and partitions just fine and am moving on with the install.

I am really confused as to why the same boot CD I used just four days ago worked perfectly, and yet after installing a different (but similar OS- PC-BSD), I had to go through such hoops. I did read in another post that the developers removed the DD UFS stuff. Not sure exactly how that is tied to this issue, just that I have a filesystem issue.

I have been using FreeBSD since 1998. I have always loved the simplicity (and speed of the installation) of it and the fact that I can run everything I need without a GUI frontend. With that said, it seems the winds of change are a blowin at FreeBSD. If it is no longer simplistic, users won't want to...well...use it.

sysinstall is going away for just this type of reason. It's old, and has lots of things that people complain about. pc-sysinstall is supposed to address almost everything that needed to be fixed.

v8 defaults to omitting several drivers which would enable the
sysinstall to probably work. I've posted about it several times,
search on geom_label.ko geom_bsd.ko (if I recall) in the forums.
(taking my own advice: )
A simple search on

geom_mbr

bought up about eight or so of posts I've made already in