lxde, menu's close after a few seconds

I've installed the latest version of lxde-meta from an updated ports collection in a clean install of PCBSD 8.1.

All works well except the menu's, both the "start menu" (sorry for the Windows terminology) and also when I tried to add applications to the what's it called, next to this start menu, the small icons for starting i.e. pcmanfm or a webbrowser (in a default install).

When I open i.e. the internet menu, I see the items in it but after a few seconds it closes the menu. The close has a certain timing, when I open it on the right moment I have 3 or 4 seconds, on the wrong moment it will close right away.

If I remember correctly, the right click desktop menu does not have this problem.

Does anyone have a clue what I can do to solve this?

Kind regards, Nico

Thanks for the caution.

For me PCBSD was just a quick way to get FreeBSD up and running.
I'm thinking very much to try things again but this time using FreeBSD as my starting point. Last time I tried this (FreeBSD 8.0) all I got was a terminal, for some reason I didn't get X (no xorg, startx didn't work, no /etc/X11). I also didn't read the manual well enough yet, I tried to "make" in /etc/ports/x11, not a good idea... :p

I've already replaced KDM with GDM because for some reason KDM had a few issues.
1) When I logged off after the automatic login, I didn't get anything on screen anymore, not even when I tried to go to tty1 (ctrl-alt-F1) which still worked when I was in my KDE session.
2) When I'd disabled the auto log-in it didn't give me the LXDE option for log-in, only openbox and a few other WM's.
Also I'm no fan of KDE4. Too much bloat for me.

The FreeBSD Handbook has a clear explanation of how to use ports or packages to install X, and the same to install the desktop/window manager of your liking. FreeBSD itself is a server environment based on the console (the terminal). Everything else is an add-on. You're the boss. You install what you like.

I know, I know, RTFM. :)
Too bad it's so big, close to 1000 pages, depending on format.
I've printed parts of it now to read while traveling by train to work.
I'm curious what it's like to build (parts of) my OS from source.
I'm also considering looking into Gentoo.
One thing is obvious, it takes more than a lot longer to build from source compared to installing a package.
I'm impressed by how easy it is most of the time though.
As an experiment now I've done "portmanager -u" to update all installed ports.
I suspect this might be risky because occasionally an update might break things but I decided to give it a try. I also hope I don't select the wrong configuration choices for the various packages.
Been busy for about 24 hours and I'm at 31%...
Just maybe this bug of mine will be solved by it.

Hmm, update! I just checked and it seems my bug IS solved!
Apparently one of the package updates I've done in the last 24 hours helped to solve this problem. Or it just went away because my computer is turned on for such a long time.
I don't want to abort my updates so I'll anxiously wait till that's finished. Should take another day or 2. Then I'll reboot and get back with a status update.

Too bad, it didn't do all updates for some reason but felt it had done all it could. I rebooted the machine and the menu still closes.
Will try to do an update of only the dependencies of lxpanel and maybe some other components of LXDE. Tips are still appreciated.

I can confirm this problem. It's not PCBSD-related.
If someone has a solution to it, please step forward. :)

I've recently installed FreeBSD 8.1 next to PCBSD 8.1 on a separate hard drive.
So far all on FreeBSD is installed through ports, PCBSD I'd done through packages and I only compiled/updated the ports I could.
At the moment on FreeBSD I use xdm to login to my Openbox-session with fbPanel through the .xsession user script.
In FreeBSD I had some issues that LXDE needed some Linux ports that it couldn't build but that was solved yesterday
so I'll try and install LXDE_Panel and more this week to see what happens.

Still the same issue, also in FreeBSD. So it's both PCBSD and FreeBSD 8.1, both the package and the port.

As maintainer for x11/menu-cache have sent a PR which this solve. Have hard worked with LXDE Upstream that solve that not all 3 seconds reload sub-menu.

This was because not existing directory /etc/xdg and others files.

Please look PC-BSD forum.

Thanks for the update. I'd kind of forgotten this question. I'm currently not actively using FreeBSD. When I find some time I'll try and test if things work now and update the thread.

Back