PHP 5.3.2 (was: php 5.3.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zend's FreeBSD support drop.

Hi guys,

This is a bit off-topic, but Zend's dropping support for FreeBSD is really unacceptable imho. I would like to invite all FreeBSD users, maintainers and hosters of FreeBSD FAMP-configurations to join the following topic on the zend forums and express their regret and dismay with me: http://forums.zend.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2412

drm said:
Hi guys,

This is a bit off-topic, but Zend's dropping support for FreeBSD is really unacceptable imho. I would like to invite all FreeBSD users, maintainers and hosters of FreeBSD FAMP-configurations to join the following topic on the zend forums and express their regret and dismay with me: http://forums.zend.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2412

In my opinion they affiliated with linux and it is a deliberate move to try and get people to use linux instead of freebsd. Their reasoning has no logic. Their mean excuse is a lack of demand for freebsd.

1 - It doesnt matter if people are only developing code on windows and linux, the compiled code still has to be run on freebsd servers, they are judging demand based on the OS of the person developing code.
2 - I have a zend licence, as well as 2 friends and a few customers, every single one of us asked for freebsd to be reinstated on the premium support contact however we either simply got ignored or were rudely told to start using RHE. (also makes me think they affiled with linux), we then tried to push the issue by stating when we brought our licenses we were told freebsd was supported so as such we want a refund or freebsd support to be reinstated, to date we have not had a reply on this.

Right now I have zend 3.3.9 working on freebsd 7.2 32bit, I expect it will also work on 8.0 32bit. Works fine with compat6x installed.

However I am trying to get it to work on 7.2 64bit. When I install compat6x it installs both 32bit and 64bit libraries. But trying to load zend gives this error.

Code:
Failed loading /home/work/ZendOptimizer-3.3.9-freebsd6.0-i386/data/5_2_x_comp/ZendOptimizer.so:  /home/work/ZendOptimizer-3.3.9-
freebsd6.0-i386/data/5_2_x_comp/ZendOptimizer.so: unsupported file layout

ldd32 simply says it cannot find the file

I see hits on google of people successfully using it on 7.x 64bit but I think they are all using the 330a 6.x 64bit version. 333 and 339 are all in 32bit only for fbsd.

about Zend, their Optimizer and PHP 5.3

since the topic came up:

i first ran into this issue when there was an incompatibility with ZO 3.3.0 and PHP 5.2.10, and tried to upgrade to 3.3.9 and there was only a 32bit version for FreeBSD (all of our production boxes run 64bit, hence my post on the Zend Forums).
i got told off by some Zend Rep, stating they're EOLing support for FreeBSD (funnily they already had a 32bit package of 3.3.9).
luckily the issue resolved itself with PHP 5.2.11, which was again working with ZO 3.3.0.

Now that Zend is not able to release an Optimizer that works with PHP5.3, the issue seems to evaporize anyways.

I'm not really convinced that it's a linux conspiracy, my guess is rather that those in charge at Zend don't really have a clue.

seitz said:
Does anyone know how long it will take to modify the patches to support 5.3.2?

TIA,

Or before PHP 5.3.x will see its way into the ports tree? "The end of August"... I'm beginning to wonder if he meant 2010 instead of 2009.

CodeBlock said:
Or before PHP 5.3.x will see its way into the ports tree? "The end of August"... I'm beginning to wonder if he meant 2010 instead of 2009.

I would say that this can be quite quick, 2-3 weeks, as it has been prepared for quite some time. And the "end of august" was correct at the time, but a lot of hangups and small errors had to be resolved first that were unknown at the time. ;)

It's really not that difficult to create your own stable 5.3.2 install. A little time spent reading the relevant documentation and experimenting in a jail can yield a nice little install-php.sh script that in my case; installs latest apache, php, suhosin and most of the extensions (I skipped a few like sysv, postgresql, etc, that I just never use).

GUYS!

Build it from goddamn sources, to yours flavor.
That's a way, I do it from start of 5.3 branch.

And who cares for zend's optimizer, whose only point of existance is to support commercial projects.

This is just more proof that the *AMP stack is dying!

*APP is where it is at (Apache, Postgres, Python)
I for one, welcome our new rulers

I am also not a web developer so I may or may not know what I am talking about :)

FAPP, FAPP, FAPP!

Seeker said:
GUYS!

Build it from goddamn sources, to yours flavor.
That's a way, I do it from start of 5.3 branch.

And who cares for zend's optimizer, whose only point of existance is to support commercial projects.

I am considering this already to be honest.

5.2.13 fixes security problems and was released almost 2 weeks ago, is dissapointing is not yet in ports.

Yes and MySQL should also get a leg in a butt, too.
And be replaced with a PostgreSQL.
For low level DB playing, use SQlite3

That is all nice and well, and never mind if I agree with that, but consider this: migrating from FreeBSD to Linux is much easier than changing an entire development stack.

chrcol said:
I am considering this already to be honest.

5.2.13 fixes security problems and was released almost 2 weeks ago, is dissapointing is not yet in ports.

And if I have understood the ports maintainer it will not appear either. The lang/php5 will go from 5.2.12 to 5.3.2. Otherwise one would have to fork it into lang/php52 and lang/php53, and that's just to much work.

drm said:
That is all nice and well, and never mind if I agree with that, but consider this: migrating from FreeBSD to Linux is much easier than changing an entire development stack.
It is not, that you need an entire, brand new, development stack.
What you need, is a "base", that will support and run commercial and proprietary apps.

gilinko said:
And if I have understood the ports maintainer it will not appear either. The lang/php5 will go from 5.2.12 to 5.3.2. Otherwise one would have to fork it into lang/php52 and lang/php53, and that's just to much work.

seems to go against what has typically happened in freebsd in the past.

we have multiple mysql ports.
multiple perl ports.
multiple apache ports.
and the list goes on.

my past experience of ports is they last at least until the code is EOL. If he hasnt the time to do 2 branches he really should keep 5.2 maintained until the day comes it is EOL. As the result is right now we have a delay due to him trying to get 5.3 in ports? leaving the current version in a vulnerable state.

As many things here gets a leg in a butt, maybe a port maintainer should get it too... ROFLMAO!
Transition is in process and some hard steps, have to be taken and with it some brave decisions... That is the right way!

lang/php52 and lang/php53 supposed to exist for a very long time already.
Hell, what will happen when PHP 6 gets released?!

seeker I agree (assuming I understand you right)

php52 and php53 should both already exist as seperate ports, and he will have the same problem when 6.0 is released, people will be expecting a port for that as well.

apache guy used the same excuse with me initially.

I agree the port freezes are excessive with freebsd, either freebsd OS updates need to be made less frequent or the port freezes shorter but the rules say security related updates can be submitted during a freeze.

The problem is that the ports tree is quite large and thus the number of packages that need to be built for each release is extremely large.

Contributing hardware and colo resources is what's needed to decrease the package building time; if that isn't done, then the ports freezes will continue to take eons to complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back