Solved [Solved] libxcb.so.2 missing

Over the last few weeks I've been slowly migrating my users off Linux and to FreeBSD and the install always went down the same route:

1. boot from the DVD, install including sources tree.
2. Change pkg repository to release/0, run pkg and install xorg and gnome2.

Today I am working from home to migrate another machine but it is different! I am noticing an error during install of xorg and after it's all done GDM does not start. It throws an error message regarding a missing libxcb.so.2 shared object. Indeed, libxcb.so.1 is there, but libxcb.so.2 is not. Making/installing/usr/ports/x11/libxcb did not fix the issue, not even after update of the ports tree.

Why all of a sudden that object is missing? I've installed a dozen or so boxes over the last month or so without hiccup until today.

Re: libxcb.so.2 missing

There is a recent entry about libxcb in UPDATING. Following it resolved the issue here.

Read the entry of Apr 16 2014 and ran the command suggested. GDM still does not start and now I have a new issue: error compiling keymap from xinit.

Is there any way to install just what was initially released with FreeBSD 10? Otherwise this is quickly becoming a torture.

Can anyone explain in plain English what happened to libxcb that an update to it completely broke gnome?
I can't understand how the package repository works now, that I had to switch to /release/0 just to be able to install gnome, but updates are still being pushed into that repo, destroying the other packages. This is wrong. It should not work that way.

And regarding the update to libxcb that removed libxcb.so.2 - should not have that link being kept for compatibility with the older applications?

Solution found!

I did not know that GNOME2 has been restored to the /latest repository and continued using /release/0. Once I removed Xorg and GNOME2 previously installed from there, and reinstalled from /latest, everything worked!

Thank you, whoever you are, for restoring GNOME2!

Back