mbmon daemon port

I am trying to read my cpu temp with gkrellm using mbmon, which requires me to run [cmd=]mbmon -r -P <port#>[/cmd] I can start mbmon by adding
Code:
mbmon_enable="YES"
to my rc.conf, but this doesn't ouput mbmon's readings to a port for gkrellm to read. I could use a crontab file, but it doesn't seem proper to run mbmon at an interval.

I found this somewhat confusing mailing list message, that doesn't say where to run the script from. Do I name the script mbmon and add it to /etc/rc.d?

Hi, if you want to create that script, maybe try to do this in that way? You can create in the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ directory a .sh script, put that command which you are using, I mean $ mbmon -r -P port# and make this shell script executable by using # chmod +x your_script_name.sh.
Then put in the /etc/rc.conf file
Code:
your.script.name_enable="YES"

However, if this script must be placed in the /etc/rc.d/ directory, look here; Practical rc.d scripting in BSD
By the way. In the gkrellm manual pages for Linux is written something like
gkrellm(1) - Linux man page said:
If the mbmon daemon is used, it must be started before gkrellm like so:

mbmon -r -P port-number

where the given "port-number" must be configured to match in the gkrellm Sensors->Options config.

I hope that it will help You in some way. Good luck.

Thankk you, francis. I'll try that. I didn't realize the use of rc.d and rc.conf were so flexible.

francis said:
By the way. In the gkrellm manual pages for Linux is written something like
Originally Posted by gkrellm(1) - Linux man page
If the mbmon daemon is used, it must be started before gkrellm like so:

mbmon -r -P port-number

where the given "port-number" must be configured to match in the gkrellm Sensors->Options config.

mbmon -r -P <port#>

When I used the hash symbol "#", I was meaning a number. It is probably a depreciated usage now , but "#" used to be called the number sign, then later it became the pound sign, because it is located above the "3" on a keyboard. UK keyboards have "£" for pound sterling located there.

Hash is probably the most accurate usage . I'm glad we finally got around to it.

pcbsd64 said:
When I used the hash symbol "#", I was meaning a number. It is probably a depreciated usage now , but "#" used to be called the number sign, then later it became the pound sign, because it is located above the "3" on a keyboard. UK keyboards have "£" for pound sterling located there.

Hash is probably the most accurate usage . I'm glad we finally got around to it.

It's a regional thing. Personally, I like the sound of "octothorpe".

Back