pkg_add -r not working

I have installed FreeBSD 8.0-Release and the following error is what I get when I try to install a package through pkg_add:

Code:
harishankar# pkg_add -r firefox
Error: Unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8.0-release/Latest/firefox.tbz: No route to host
pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8.0-release/Latest/firefox.tbz' by URL

I am able to connect to the internet and otherwise browse the web, but pkg_add always has trouble resolving the server. Is there any further configuration required? The handbook says something about setting the PACKAGESITE environment variable, but surely it should be able to fetch from the default server?

harishankar said:
Code:
harishankar# pkg_add -r firefox
Error: Unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8.0-release/Latest/firefox.tbz: [red]No route to host[/red]
pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8.0-release/Latest/firefox.tbz' by URL

your network is not configured properly
you need to add
Code:
defaultrouter="123.123.132.123"
to your /etc/rc.conf
where 123.123.123.123 is your default router address

if this doesn't fix the problem, the you probably have more network related problems

Hi, everybody, I found the issue.

I (probably) had to set the FTP to passive mode FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES. Also I was having intermittent trouble with my internet connection earlier so I'm not sure which was causing the issue.

I installed he firefox35 package fine and it works now. Adding a whole lot of apps now as I speak. :D

Back