Solved [Solved] urtwn0: timeout waiting for MAC auto ON

I am trying to use a Comtrend WD 1020 USB WiFi micro-dongle on an iMac-DV (slot-loading) 400MHz with Freebsd FreeBSD 10.0 RC5(PPC). The urtwn driver recognizes it, and the wlandev, wlan0, can be created but, once I bring it up, it won't scan or list scan and when I try wpa_supplicant it gives me the error noted above:
Code:
urtwn0: timeout waiting for MAC auto ON

When I google for this error the only reference is to the same problem on openbsd OpenBSD (as virtual guest OS) and the suggested fix is to increase the driver's wait time. There is a Makefile in /usr/src/sys for the urtwn driver, but it seems to be designated, "RTL8192", while dmesg says the Comtrend dongle is "RTL8188". Can I alter the wait time via a Makefile or do I need to edit the .c file? (Where might I find it?) And, is this likely to solve the problem or does the urtwn driver not work with RTL8188?

Thanks for any wisdom.

(A bit later . . .)

I found the .c file for urtwn (I had forgotten to update my locate.db :r ) and it does say it is the driver for several Realtek chipsets including RTL8188cu which, as above, dmesg tells me is the one in this dongle.

I copied the original .c file to <filename>.c.old and then edited it; I changed "Delay(5)" in the relevant code section (there is only one place where "timeout waiting for MAC auto on" appears) to "Delay(100)". Then make, make install and then reinserted the dongle and did an up scan. No love.

Any ideas where I've gone wrong?

(Still later . . .)

Editing the .c file as described here, http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.openbsd.misc/201090, rather than as I had previously, does solve the problem, but, as that reference also points out, the problem exists in several other places wherever a timeout is called. So, I could scan, but wpa_supplicantthen timed out.

I will post again (for posterity's sake) when I have more time to determine where all of those places are.

I forgot to mention one more thing: you are also required to put an acknowledgement in /boot/loader.conf:
Code:
legal.realtek.license_ack=1
before the device will scan.

Back