[PC-BSD] Native Instruments DJ Audio 2 - Ext USB Sound Card

Hi all

Little intro...

For my laptop, which is mainly used for multimedia purposes (stream from NAS) I have been experimenting with various Linux OS distros and decided to try PC-BSD 9 isotope now. It may not be the best choice however my reasoning is because of my interest for FreeBSD as an OS since I'm running FreeBSD for my main server and FreeNAS for storage which I am satisfied with and using it more overall will increase my knowledge/skills about it and that motivates my choice.

The problem
I use a specific external USB card that is connected to my A/V receiver to maximize the sound quality (internal sound card won't do). Linux distros like Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu recognize it without any interaction.

What I have done
  • Search the web and forums to find a similar thread
  • Read the supported hardware list and check the manufacturer website for chipset info. Model: Native Instruments Audio 2
  • dmesg | grep usb got me to display what seems to be my sound card:
    Code:
    ugen1.2: <Native Instruments> at usbus1
  • Tried OSSInfo
  • Found out that Linux drivers can possibly be used in FreeBSD?
Question

At the moment, I don't have access to a physical Linux machine however, if Linux drivers can be used in PC-BSD would it be beneficial to get access to one in order to obtain the module used?

Since this is a specific problem I don't expect anyone to lay out the solution for me. Instead, all I am asking for is some guidance in the right direction so I can utilize my time efficiently. I don't mind reading documentation and man pages.

Thank you
DX

[thread=7290]Topics about PC-BSD | FreeNAS | DesktopBSD | m0N0WALL | pfSense | Debian GNU/kFreeBSD[/thread]

You can't use Linux drivers. You can try audio/oss but I doubt it'll work.

Code:
[misterdx@pcbsd-2802] /# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 64bit 2009061500/amd64)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <HDA ATI R6xx HDMI PCM #0 HDMI> (play)
pcm1: <HDA Realtek ALC269 PCM #0 Analog> (play/rec) default
[misterdx@pcbsd-2802] /#

First run

# kldload uaudio

Then plug your usb audio device in. If your device is recognized, then something like

Code:
Mar  1 11:00:19 aaa kernel: ugen0.6: <C-Media INC.> at usbus0
Mar  1 11:00:19 aaa kernel: uaudio0: <C-Media INC. USB Sound Device, class 0/0, rev 1.10/0.10, addr 6> on usbus0
Mar  1 11:00:19 aaa kernel: uaudio0: Play: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, 16-bit S-LE PCM format.
Mar  1 11:00:19 aaa kernel: uaudio0: No recording.
Mar  1 11:00:19 aaa kernel: uaudio0: No midi sequencer.
Mar  1 11:00:19 aaa kernel: pcm0: <USB audio> on uaudio0

will appear in /var/log/message. If this works, you may need to run

# sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=2

to use your USB audio device.

What I see in /var/log/messages is the following:

Code:
May 26 21:45:17 pcbsd-2802 kernel: ugen1.2: <Native Instruments> at usbus1 (disconnected)
May 26 21:46:02 pcbsd-2802 kernel: ugen1.2: <Native Instruments> at usbus1
May 26 21:46:06 pcbsd-2802 root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x17cc product 0x041d bus uhub1
and sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=2 gives me back 'invalid argument'.

Back