Local mail delivery problems

Hello forum,

I'm running a FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE jail host with sysutils/ezjail. The jails have been bound to the loopback interface of the jail host, pf is set up to do NAT and port-forwarding for the different services. I noticed that mails originating from any of the jails are bounced. This way, I only get the status reports from the jail host. I'd like to fix this.

This is the error message in question:
Code:
Apr 20 03:01:01 mail postfix/smtp[38631]: 2263F48F7: to=<root@somejail>, relay=none, delay=0.15, delays=0.14/0/0/0, dsn=5.4.4, status=bounced (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=somejail type=A: Host not found)

I tried putting all jail hostnames into the /etc/hosts of the mail server jail, but this did not change the situation.

Output of cat /usr/jails/mail/etc/hosts:
Code:
::1			localhost localhost.my.domain
127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.my.domain
10.0.0.13 mail
10.0.0.23 jail1
10.0.0.33 jail2
10.0.0.43 somejail

In addition to this, I added the "MAILTO=" parameter to the /etc/crontab of each jail, to no effect. I also set /etc/mail/aliases of each jail to forward all mail for root to a valid mail address.

What else could I do to fix this?

Sincerely,

-frozen

Thanks @AndyUKG,

This does not solve my problem and causes this error to be logged:

Code:
Apr 23 20:16:09 mail postfix/smtpd[68454]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from 00.00.00.00.example.com[00.00.00.00]: 450 4.1.8 <root@somejail>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found; from=<root@somejail> to=<info@example.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<somejail>

I tested this by running periodic daily from within one of my jails. Sorry for my late feedback, my real job interfered with this bug-hunt. Have a nice $periodoftheday !

-frozen

/EDIT: Some minor log sanitization

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, the issue is you are trying to deliver mail without having the domains configured in DNS, which is not a normal configuration for any SMTP server. The suggestion I made addresses this issue but apparently isn't all that is required if you are still having issues. Given the issue is a Postfix configuration issue, if no one provides you an answer here you will probably have more luck posting to the Postfix users lists,

cheers Andy.

Alrighty Then.
I'll try my luck with the Postfix-Users mailinglist this weekend. I'll post the solution once I found it.
Thank you again, @AndyUKG !

-frozen

Last edited by a moderator:
Back