Samba 4 is half as fast as Samba 3?!

oliver@

Developer
Hi,

I tried upgrading from my Samba 3 setup to Samba 4.1 - I do not need als those shiny AD-Features, I just need to mount the shares on two Windows 7 systems.

I use the same configuration that I used with Samba 3 (testparm says it is fine).

The simple question is - why do I reach transfer rates of ~110MB/Sec with Samba 3 and only ~45 MB/Sec with Samba 4? With such a mega-drop in performance Samba 4 is not really an option for me :(

I wonder what I could have done wrong? I tried with and without the AIO option. DEBUG, PAM_SMBPASS, PTHREADPOOL are enabled, all other options are disabled. Samba 3 and Samba 4 run both in a seperate jail where the shared filesystems are nullfs mounted into. The Filesystem on the jails Host is a ZFS raidz. Bonnie++ can write to it with ~150MB/Sec.

My config is:

Code:
[global]
        workgroup = MYWORKGROUP
        server string = jasmin
        passdb backend = tdbsam:/usr/local/etc/samba/passdb.tdb
        log file = /var/log/samba4/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        unix extensions = No
        load printers = No
        dns proxy = No
        hosts allow = 10.0.1.51, 10.0.1.52, 10.0.1.53, 10.0.2.51

[usera]
        comment = usera
        path = /mnt/users/usera
        valid users = usera
        read only = No

[userb]
        comment = userb
        path = /mnt/users/userb
        valid users = userb
        read only = No
        wide links = Yes

[public]
        comment = public
        path = /mnt/users/public
        force user = userb
        read only = No
        wide links = Yes

oliver@ said:
I tried upgrading from my Samba 3 set up to Samba 4.1 - I do not need als those shiny AD-Features, I just need to mount the shares on two Windows 7 systems.
In that case I would stick to Samba 3.6. Samba 4.x is really only interesting if you want to set up active directory.

Yeah, but there will come the time where 3.6 will be deprecated and later removed. Don't you think so? And then I'm anyway forced to use 4 or whatever is out then.

Yeah saw this posting earlier but forgott about it :stud
Code:
max protocol = NT1
seems to bring back the old Samba 3 performance - where NT1 was the default (now SMB3 is)

Back