How to upgrade from 7.2 to 8.0

DutchDaemon said:
8-STABLE to be exact ;)

Currently it says 8.0-STABLE:

Code:
dice@molly:~>uname -a
FreeBSD molly.dicelan.home 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #0: Mon Dec  7 20:31:55 CET 2009     root@molly.dicelan.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MOLLY8  i386

And yes, it will progress to 8.1-STABLE, 8.2-STABLE etc. ;)

@SeaHag

Did you recompile all of your ports? You should. For now, you could try installing the misc/compat7x port to get missing libraries back.

DutchDaemon said:
@SeaHag

Did you recompile all of your ports? You should. For now, you could try installing the misc/compat7x port to get missing libraries back.

But if he is going to upgrade by source to 8-STABLE using the GENERIC kernel, he doesn't have to install the compat7x port, no? Since the COMPAT_FREEBSD7 option is included in GENERIC by default?

Thanks.

DutchDaemon said:
@SeaHag

Yes, I followed this guide step by step;

Code:
http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2009...8.0-beta1.html

I ran portupgrade -af twice but still doesn't work.

sixtydoses said:
But if he is going to upgrade by source to 8-STABLE using the GENERIC kernel, he doesn't have to install the compat7x port, no? Since the COMPAT_FREEBSD7 option is included in GENERIC by default?

As far as I know, the kernel option provides the framework, the port supplies the libraries used within that framework.

sixtydoses said:

Thanks.

COMPAT_FREEBSD7 is for binary compatibility, i.e. your kernel can run 7.x binaries natively.

The misc/compat7x port provides legacy libraries for binaries which have been linked against them.

SeaHag said:
After spending lots of time searching the net I can't find any way to upgrade my system from 7.2 to 8.0. Can someone please point me in the right direction? I don't want to do a binary upgrade but want to upgrade from source. I normally use portsnap. Can we use that or do we have to use cvsup?

please cvsup to get a fresh set of source files for your system. and do a series of make buildworld/buidlkernel/installkernel/installworld with mergemaster in between as suggested.

now

# cd /usr/src
# make delete-old
# make delete-old-libs

(i got this from DutchDaemon) this shall delete all remnants of old system from your new one.

the next step is to aim at your interest, a few ports.

have a good luck.

regards,
jotawski

Back