Local mirror for installations, updates and pkg.

Hello guys,

I would like to set[]up a local FreeBSD mirror in our datacenter. Looking in the FreeBSD documentation, I was not able to find how to do that, and it appears to be heavily discouraged. Correct-me if I'm wrong please. The only documentation that I've found, is this one: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/hubs/mirror-howto.html. But it just explains how to mirror everything from releases but nothing from pkg.freebsd.org and/or update.freebsd.org; and both appears to use signatures, so I must learn how to handle this on local mirror. And I don't want everything from releases, I just want everything with RELEASE in it's name. There's no need for RC and BETA releases.

At this moment I was able to fetch some file from pkg.freebsd.org and update.freebsd.org using lftp and releases using rsync in a really dumb way, just for testing with 10.0-RELEASE.

Thanks in advance,

wblock@ said:

Thanks for both links. I was not aware of them, and I swear that I've googled before :(

But talking about the links, the first one using freebsd-update-server apparently the releases should be built locally. There's a way to just fetch the binary distribution, as a mirror from the update.freebsd.org?

And about the second one, I don't need to make custom packages for our environment, the binary packages from pkg are sufficient. Poudriere appears to be fine, but I will need to build every single package, right? I think it's inviable with the VM's that I have.

Any other ideia?

Thanks in advance,

viniciusferrao said:
There's a way to just fetch the binary distribution, as a mirror from the update.freebsd.org?
freebsd-update(8) is easily proxied using Apache, NGINX or Squid. Using a caching proxy will make sure the updates are only downloaded once. Consecutive updates will get their files from the cache.

Back