Triple boot with Linux OS

Hi,
I'm planning for a tripe boot with FreeBSD, Mint and Mageia. I would like to get the experiences/ideas from FreeBSD members.

Do I have to have FreeBSD in primary partition? Any suggestions how to format (Or which tool to use for format)?

Thanks,

Dear @pcolly,

it should be no problem to do an installation according your requirements. Regarding the partitioning see http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-pre.html. If I understand your question correct you might have an MBR setup. In this case FreeBSD must be in a primary partition. The "coarse" partitioning can be done with your favorite tool. During the installation the FreeBSD partition can be divided in more sections. It sounds a little bit unusual that the partitions are names slices which are divided in partitions. In think the handbook gives a very good introduction.

Regarding the boot process one idea is to use a boot manager like Grub2 and boot FreeBSD by chain loading. One issue of Grub2 is that it uses some code of the system where it has been installed from. If you use for example Mint to install the boot manager it will not boot anymore once you delete the Mint installation. It should be no show stopper but may be nice to know. On my system I use Grub2 to select between two FreeBSD installations or Debian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back