gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0

and then installed the FreeBSD. Now every time I start my computer I get:
Code:
gptzfsboot: error 4  3491802444
gptzfsboot: error 4  XXXXXXXXX

Does anyone knows what are these error messages mean? Is my drive gone bad?

Thank you.

Which version of FreeBSD are you installing and on which platform? On which partition did you install FreeBSD? You only show creating a boot partition. Did you also create a partition for FreeBSD and swap? Your use of /boot/gptzfsboot suggests you are attempting a ZFS on root installation. Is that correct?

Also, what is the target system. Certain HP systems and RAID controllers are notorious for this error.

@trh411

Thanks for your response. I'm using FreeBSD 10 amd64 and I'm trying to install root on ZFS. Beside of boot partition, I also created FreeBSD swap, freebsd-swap, and another partition for ZFS system, freebsd-zfs.

Your use of /boot/gptzfsboot suggests you are attempting a ZFS on root installation. Is that correct?
Yes.

Also, what is the target system. Certain HP systems and RAID controllers are notorious for this error.
No it's not HP. It's my old system. I use it for testing different ways of create/setup ZFS. So far all my attempts failed on creating ZFS :) until I got those errors and moved to virtual environment.
So I wasn't getting those errors during my test on ZFS until recently it started to appear during boot up.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back