Install FreeBSD 10 on Sun X4450

Hello,

Actually I am moving all our Sun servers from Oracle 11 to FreeBSD. A X2270 is already running :) An x4540 boots fine and will be the next one.

But a Sun X4450 does not boot properly. It stops at
Code:
Root mount waiting for usbus4.
What exactly does this mean and is there a way to fix this? Disabling ACPI somewhere in the BIOS or something similar? Or will booting over PXE help?

Thanks for any tip - Norbert :)

First of all, the X4450 seems to be just another x86/amd64 server, it shouldn't be in this forum at all.

Second, how long have you waited for the boot to continue? Try to wait at least twenty minutes.

Do not disable ACPI unless the machine very old, like ten years or more. Modern systems are essentially ACPI only without a proper fallback to pre-ACPI configuration methods. Try disabling things like audio, USB, Firewire and additional storage controllers in the BIOS and see if any of them makes a difference.

tingo said:
First of all, the X4450 seems to be just another x86/amd64 server, it shouldn't be in this forum at all.
Verified and moved (back, if memory serves me right). Enjoy :p

Thanks for answers... :)

I booted the machine again over service processor with redirection to local pc using an iso image of mfsBSD version 10.0. And I waited about 15 minuten after the "root mount waiting for" message... nothing happened. I did not change bios settings - because the remote mounted CD is accessed over USB...

See my attached boot screen dump

Norbert

@tingo: Sorry for posting here, I was not aware where to put my question else...

Attachments

• bootscreen-2.jpg
    bootscreen-2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 708
If I enter at boot prompt:

OK set hw.usb.no_boot_wait="1"

then the machine boots fine... But, I have no keyboard afterwards :-( But I have the login prompt :)

Norbert

Back