Solved [Solved] Could you help me install FreeBSD 10?

[Moved to Installing & Upgrading, this has nothing to do with Feedback. -- mod.]

Hello everybody!

I have this problem when installing FreeBSD 10 and FreeBSD 9.2 too:

AMD Athlon 2200+ 1800 MHz (real)
768 MB RAM
2 HDD IDE (160 GB + 80 GB)

If I choose default settings I have a GPT slice. Is a BSD label better in my case? Could you help me?

Re: could you help me with install freeBSD10?

Are you sure that your hard drives and/or motherboard are not causing the problem? E.g. can you install and run other OSes on that machine?

The drive may be bad and have bad sectors.

Re: Could you help me install FreeBSD 10?

That panic is because of a mangled UFS directory entry. The partition type GPT versus MBR is immaterial since UFS will be used as the filesystem in both cases. The normal fix is to boot into single user mode and repair the filesystem with fsck -y, but since you are experiencing it during installation, your only option is to attempt a reinstall. The fact that it happens consistently during each installation attempt may point to a failing hard drive. Time to test your hard drives I think.

The hardware is very old, but it must work. WinXP Windows XP works normally. I tested a/the FreeBSD installation on three different HDDs:

:x

Did I make partitions with mistakes? :q :

In the first image, it looks like the FreeBSD installer is having trouble accessing ada0.

As to partitions, I don't see a freebsd-boot partition. The others look okay. However, with only 9.6 GB to work with, I'd suggest taking the guided partitioning option during installation, which will create a freebsd-boot partition, a single freebsd-ufs / partition, and a freebsd-swap partition. That way you won't have to worry about managing space on four separate partitions (/, tmp, usr, var) as everything will be in the / partition.

The last picture shows a "dangerously dedicated" layout. It ought to work, but there is no reason to use that any more. GPT should be fine. @trh411 is right about splitting up that small a drive.

Since multiple drives have problems, and multiple versions of FreeBSD, I would check the BIOS settings. If there is an onboard RAID controller, do not use it, but use the plain SATA or IDE ports.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have got a mother board with BIOS. It seems to me that BIOS can start to boot with MBR only and UEFI can start boot with GPT. Could you tell how I can create an MBR with slices and which slices I need to use? How will it seem in the partition editor? Will this work:

Then I click Finish -> Commit and:

:x

wblock@ said:
Since multiple drives have problems, and multiple versions of FreeBSD do, I would check the BIOS settings. If there is an onboard RAID controller, do not use it, but use the plain SATA or IDE ports.
Unfortunately, there are no RAID and SATA in my BIOS. only IDE.

Replace the IDE cable with a good 80-wire one. GPT will work on most BIOS motherboards because of the PMBR. The MBR layout shown in the post above is fine, too. However, partition layout does not matter unless the disks can be written without error.

i changed the motherboard and processor (Pentium 4) and now the install completed. Thank you for your help.

Back