FreeBSD does not start on a triple boot with Grub2

Hello everybody,

I would like to experiment with FreeBSD. As I already have a dual booted machine (Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows XP) with plenty of disk space, I attempted a triple boot. First, I prepared the .img on a USB flash. As I messed up with dd from Linux, I used Image Writer from Windows XP. Then, I booted from the flash and Synopsis worked properly. When creating the partition, I refused the default geometry, and Synopsis detected the CHS combination matching with that showed by GParted in Linux. Having 300G for Linux and 100G for Windows, I allocated 100G to FreeBSD, then I clicked on A for automatic partition usage. I didn't install the FreeBSD boot manager, as I wanted to continue using Grub2.

At this point, I had warnings on all the four partitions (Linux, Windows, FreeBSD and Swap), stating that they don't start on a disk sector. The installation went on to completion, though. Now I went back on Linux. On GParted the FreeBSD partition shows as unknown. I edited the /etc/grub.d/40_custom file by adding the following lines:

Code:
menuentry "FreeBSD 8.2 - RELEASE amd64" {
set root=(hd0,msdos4)
chainloader +1
}

I used msdos4 mimicking the syntax that GRUB already used for the other systems, considering the partitions as numbered 1 to 4. Finally I updated grub.cfg with update-grub. When selecting FreeBSD from GRUB, it does not start, with a generic error message.

I think this post is long enough for now. I will add details later, as I don't know at the moment what could be useful for the experts. Thank you all in advance for your attention.

Check if the FreeBSD partition is indeed the 4th partition, in other words, on GParted running on Linux, it should be "/dev/sda4"

And in my case, I use (hd0,4) instead of (hd0,msdos4). I don't know if (hd0,4) is same as (hd0,msdos4).

Thank you for your prompt reply. FreeBSD is actually "/dev/sda4" on GParted. I used msdos4, as the automatically detected boots in GRUB were compiled as (hd0,msdos1) for /dev/sda1 (Ububntu) and (hd0,msdos2) for /dev/sda2 (Windows). However, I'll try later with (hd0,4), to be sure.

(I am now at work, the system we are talking about is at home).

As always - I recommended a great utility; EasyBCD. It is useful especially for booting Un*x-like systems and Windows. I think that, this program is usefull for beginners.
Have fun in experimenting with FreeBSD!

Thank you, I'll try it. For the record, (hd0,4) did not work, just the same as (hd0,msdos4). The error message, immediately after the GRUB selection, is:

Code:
error: not an assignment.
error: invalid signature.

Press any key to continue...

Still the same problem with Grub2.
Code:
error: invalid signature.

Press any key to continue...
PS:In Grub2 there's no option 'rootnoverify' ...

Thank you all. I realized that grub2 has compatibility issues with a number of applications. I downgraded to grub for the Linux partition, then used GAG as a first stage boot loader: everything worked properly at the first attempt.

Ubuntu (or the grub2 creators upstream) have improved OS scanning by Ubuntu 12.04. I have a system running XP, FreeBSD 8.1, and Ubuntu, and did not install a FreeBSD boot manager. Before Ubuntu 12.04, I had to create a custom /etc/grub.d/40_custom file before running update-grub on the Linux partition.

But now running update-grub will detect my FreeBSD properly, so I was able to remove the custom file.

However I was able to use the custom file - mine looks like

Code:
#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
#
menuentry "FreeBSD 8.1 manual by Peter" {
      set root=(hd0,3)
      chainloader +1
}
Under Ubuntu 12.04, the generated stanza for FreeBSD in /boot/grub/grub.cfg is

Code:
menuentry "FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE (GENERIC) (on /dev/sda3)" --class windows --class os {
  insmod part_msdos
  insmod ufs2
  set root='(hd0,msdos3)'
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 4b2e8da4ae6a55e3
  drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
  chainloader +1
}

Back