HOWTO: QEMU on FreeBSD

Oh thank you for the help, I'm trying to prove Fedora 14 in qemu over a FreeBSD 8.1 emulating by vmware. So I think I should watch bios settings of vmware.

Thanks again!

Do I need to select the SDL/X option if I am just wanting to run headless machines with a VNC console? Not running Windows guest, just Linux/BSD VMs mostly LAMP. I tried Virtualbox with phpVirtualbox, but it's really messy stuff everywhere, hard to get going, looking for something simpler.

After git clone [url=git://git.qemu-project.org/qemu.git]git://git.qemu-project.org/qemu.git[/url], how can I config it to support kqemu ?

Sincerely!

sw2wolf said:
After git clone [url=git://git.qemu-project.org/qemu.git]git://git.qemu-project.org/qemu.git[/url], how can I config it to support kqemu ?

Sincerely!
kqemu support has been dropped by upstream qemu a long time ago (since 0.12), and the kvm port was never finished. So if you want reasonably fast virtualization you're better off using emulators/virtualbox-ose, or http://www.bhyve.org/

If you really want kqemu the emulators/qemu port is still available (at 0.11.1, last version that supported kqemu), but its still slower and less stable than the alternatives, and only works on 9.x and earlier.

HTH, (or at least a bit)
Juergen

The bottlenecks are:

Virtualbox is slow, but the only working solution for any architecture as of these lines are written. bhyve() is faster, but does not support amd64 SVM (there is a port but with the CURRENT release only). qemu is easier to work, but the support has been discontinued.

VirtualBox is slow? Well, that might depend on the processor and whether it supports VT-x. But my VirtualBox VMs on a fast machine are faster than the real thing on mediocre hardware. In other words, fast enough. Although it might matter if someone wanted to use them for games, I have not tried that.

i was told by sirdice:

just download the official .cow2 image

i then found (i downloaded qemu binary for windows 10) it was real darn easy.

just start quemu with the image and no options: works fine, bsd installs, automatically on internet read for further install

Generally just ignore all KQEMU mentions and its still usable.

You can also use pkg(8) packages instead of compiling the needed stuff.

Hope that helps.

Back