X.Org 7-4 -> X.Org 7.5 upgrade -- issues and questions

Was direct rendering enabled in the X server? On your GPU, 2D acceleration requires direct rendering to be enabled in the X server.

Adam

adamk said:
Was direct rendering enabled in the X server? On your GPU, 2D acceleration requires direct rendering to be enabled in the X server.

Adam
Yes, DRI was also explicitly enabled for adapter in config file.

Sorry, I don't have that Xorg.0.log for now, but I've checked that AccelMethod "exa" was accepted by xf86-video-ati driver.

Yes, EXA will be used if you set that method (and, actually, it should be used by default, too). It still won't be accelerated, though, without direct rendering enabled in the X server.

Adam

Also check with glxinfo, which renderer you are really using and if defining build macro WITHOUT_NOUVEAU apply to you. I think it is mentioned in /usr/ports/UPDATING.

Bunyan said:
Xorg 7.5 works smoothly and nice.
The other applications the same.
After a complete deinstall of all the packages.
I rebuilt everything from ports as usual.

i simply have to pkg_delete -af after upgrade from 7.4 to 7.5 and reinstall xorg-7.5 purely from ports. but both ways resulted in the same situation, a black blank screen after

$ X -config /root/xorg.conf.new

with no mouse and idle. i had to turn power down and up and did fsck -y at single user mode. with only one xorg ports installed, i got about 250 packages. at present, i reinstall xorg-7.4 + blackbox in order to continue my routine works.

oh yes, hal and dbus are installed automatically in both case.

would anyone please tell some secrets on installing xorg-7.5

thanks in advance for any helps and hints.

Attachments

• xorg7.5.tar.gz
    5 KB · Views: 178
Code:
X -config /root/xorg.conf.new

This is the wrong way to test Xorg these days. That will simply result in a black screen, even when working properly. Just copy it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and try to 'startx'.

Adam

adamk said:
Code:
X -config /root/xorg.conf.new

This is the wrong way to test Xorg these days. That will simply result in a black screen, even when working properly. Just copy it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and try to 'startx'.

Adam

To avoid the unhelpful black screen the handbook recommends

Code:
Xorg -config xorg.conf.new -retro

Are you saying this advice is also incorrect?

ckester said:
To avoid the unhelpful black screen the handbook recommends

Code:
Xorg -config xorg.conf.new -retro

Are you saying this advice is also incorrect?

yes, i have tried x-config.html with lynx while in text mode. now am making openoffice.org-3 since thursday evenning so that i can not make the whole system into xorg-7.5 again.

many thanks indeed

Ha, well after the big, long(, hard, thick, juicy) upgrade on the Thinkpad, I get the loveliest hard lockup on issuing startx (or starting from x11/slim). No lights, no bells, no keyboard, all open ssh sessions close from time-outs, ping hears nothing, the screen eventually lightens to dark grey, the front part of the laptop gradually warms rather alarmingly, & I never get a log file of more than zero length.

# X -configure does its thing quickly & the resulting ~/xorg.conf.new is about as pale and sightless as can be, but actually starting X is very bad.

The chipset is a bog standard intel 855GM in an old X40 thinkpad. I had to fiddle with the kernel module settings in unbunutu to make it work there (fun), but I can't figure out what it's doing under FreeBSD that's so poisonous. I haven't tried the vesa driver yet (I'm on my third or fourth power cycle after trying a few settings & I just got done entirely removing the ports in anticipation of a complete rebuild).

Anyway, hints or sympathy would be nice.

Regards.

adamk said:
No. I'm saying that what he tried was incorrect.

Adam

Thanks for the clarification!

But I was wondering why you recommended testing with startx instead of using the -retro switch.

Now is almost one month from update to Xorg 7.5 but problems are still here. Nothing is better. Does anyone knows something about bux fixing, updates..., please? For ari drivers for example?
Thanks.

So I did a fresh install of xorg and gnome2-lite on my 8.0-RELEASE-p2 system, and I'm using the nvidia-driver-96 from ports. All installed ports are up-to-date as of today.

Using startx seems to work fine, it starts the X server, brings up three xterms and as soon, as I close the initial xterm, the X server shuts down gracefully.... so far, so good.

But as soon, as I use some sort of X display manager (gdm/xdm), I am experiencing situations, where the screen goes black and switching to text mode console does not work anymore. Other than that, the system continues working, i.e. remote login via ssh is still possible. My /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows messages like:
Code:
(WW) NVIDIA(0): WAIT (2, 6, 0x8000, 0x00000280, 0x00000624)
(WW) NVIDIA(0): WAIT (1, 6, 0x8000, 0x00000280, 0x00000624)

When using gdm this situation arises when logging out of gnome. Up until then, everything runs fine, even applications using OpenGL.

I was not having these issues using xorg-7.4. Has anybody else encountered similar hangs? Any suggestions as to what might be the root of this problem? nvidia-driver? xorg-7.5? both?

mickey said:
So I did a fresh install of xorg and gnome2-lite on my 8.0-RELEASE-p2 still possible. My /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows messages like:
Code:
(WW) NVIDIA(0): WAIT (2, 6, 0x8000, 0x00000280, 0x00000624)
(WW) NVIDIA(0): WAIT (1, 6, 0x8000, 0x00000280, 0x00000624)

When using gdm this situation arises when logging out of gnome. Up until then, everything runs fine, even applications using OpenGL.

I was not having these issues using xorg-7.4. Has anybody else encountered similar hangs? Any suggestions as to what might be the root of this problem? nvidia-driver? xorg-7.5? both?

Maybe will help you:
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html

Still no solution. And I've discovered that OpenOffice also hangs my X session.

Seriously folks, this is unacceptable. I've been waiting for a solution for one month now. I want the hangs to stop.

Brandybuck said:
Still no solution. And I've discovered that OpenOffice also hangs my X session.

Seriously folks, this is unacceptable. I've been waiting for a solution for one month now. I want the hangs to stop.

Did you open up a problem report?

Adam

I just now joined the x11 mailing list, and have posted there. And I am in the process of trying to log a bug.

I just thought someone else might have found a solution by now.

A workaround was found. I removed a EXAVSync option in xorg.conf. This was added over a year ago to enable KDE desktop effects. Removing it stops the hangs, but disables the desktop effects.

Looks like latest intel-video driver is broken again. System (8.0-RELEASE and 8-STABLE) goes black screen and hangs completely. sigh..

Back