FreeBSD on the PowerMac G-series

For those running [cmd=]make index[/cmd] in /usr/ports:

Code:
cd /usr/ports/audio/beast
vi Makefile
Use the hash/pound sign to edit out the reference to SSE checking.
After this, it should work properly.

If you are using ports and would like to use packages instead:

Code:
pkg_delete -a

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/shells.html

Code:
echo $SHELL
If your shell is csh or tcsh then
Code:
setenv PACKAGESITE ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/powerpc/packages-9-stable/All
For sh you can edit .shrc and use PACKAGESITE=ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/powerpc/packages-9-stable/All

Please prepare your powerpc by pkg_adding perl and python prior to the reinstallment of previous packages.

If you are having trouble building world then please follow the mailing lists. There is an active effort in using clang. Justin Hibbits is working on the clang errors, Brooks Davis is in charge of clang/llvm; if you have the time and are willing to help with clang/llvm on powerpc(64), then please contact both.
jhibbits@freebsd.org Justin Hibbits
brooks@freebsd.org Brooks Davis

A partial solution is to build each part in src- as applicable to your system- until you get to the error. This will present you with a 9.0/10.0 system to build the kernel.

If you wish to help the FreeBSD powerpc(64) port, then the following are the ones to contact:
Grehan@freebsd.org Peter Grehan, port/project maintainer
nwhitehorn@freebsd.org Nathan Whitehorn
and Justin Hibbits. Both Justin Hibbits and Nathan Whitehorn are source commiters.

danfe@freebsd.org Alexey Dokuchaev has a lot of experience. I suggest that you ask advanced questions with him on the cc list.

Alright, peoples, here are the current updates.

There is progress with buildworld on Tinderbox.
If you are careful, then you may set /boot/loader.conf with the following variable:
Code:
kern.hz="1500"
or
Code:
kern.hz="2000"
or
Code:
kern.hz="2500"
Do so at your own discretion.

Okay, now back to the tutorial.
Anyone that has anything to add to this tutorial, you are welcome to do so. Please let everyone know the environment, methods, and reasons why.

I am also willing to create a single document tutorial to submit to the FreeBSD POWER(PC) maintainers. It will be upgradeable. For such a tutorial, xorg.conf, loader.conf, and rc.conf variable for different systems will need to be submitted in order that all are able to have a stable system. This will bring more clarity.

I'm posting this because of the response on an i386. Believe me it is relevant.

Okay, whenever the
Code:
kern.hz≥2500
the tick rate will increase by one and more as the value of the hertz rate increases.

Implementing a real-time kernel is something that I know very little about.

Setting the value at 2000 to 2250 will not hurt.

This has been discussed on the mailing lists- concerning kernel hertz and frequency-and there is a patch available. Increasing the kernel hertz rate decreases latency to a certain degree.

A tip on distributing the work load:
If you have two or more machines which we assume are all PowerPC/POWER(32/64) you can use NFS and export a portion of /usr/local from one machine to another.
One machine can run the windowing and desktop while another has the applications.

Combine this with a higher but safe kernel hertz rate and you should have a nice set up.

Be sure to read on how to properly set up NFS sharing between machines.

In /etc/X11/xorg.conf change

Code:
Option "AllowEmptyInput" "Off"

to

Code:
Option  "AutoAddDevices" "Off"

Back