Solved [SOLVED] Request for Comp. List of Kernel Config Options

Good afternoon all,

FreeBSD 10.0 x64 on a AMD 4Ghz 4 GHz PileDriver CPU w 32G ram with 32 GB RAM.

I've got it all polished up into the best workstation I have ever had.

I have built several kernels for my machine that have been running fine. Today I wanted to add a little more spit and polish by taking my remaining kernel modules and compiling them into the kernel directly so I end up with a monolith. I am very junior with FreeBSD, but senior with Linux since early 2000. And... AT&T System V 3.*. (I just dated myself)

I ran into a roadblock. Neither in the docs, handbook, nor webcrawling can I find a comprehensive list of all the kernel configuration file options. I have searched through and read all the files in /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf. the NOTES file has nice information specific to my architecture. I know I am not seeing all the options because I have haunted the forums and I see options recommended for some folks, that I don't see in the NOTES file nor my GENERIC derived custom DAVES configuration file.

The modules I want to compile in are:
Code:
fuse
tmpfs
ums
uhid 
netgraph
ng_ether

Can someone please point me to where I can find a comprehensive list of kernel configuration file options? This way I can read how to add the modules listed above and compile them in.

I have one additional question: what does it mean in the NOTES file when an option is prefixed with #XXX#?

I will be genuinely appreciative for assistance.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

Re: Request for Comprehensive List of Kernel Config Options

There's also a /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES. It contains things that can be set on all architectures. Traditionally #XXX is a placeholder for something that needs a little work. It's more or less a "TODO" mark.

You could make the dummy kernel config called LINT. This config should contain most (if not all) options and devices available for the corresponding architecture.

From the handbook:
To build a file which contains all available options, run the following command as root:
Code:
# cd /usr/src/sys/arch/conf && make LINT

Thank you @worldi for your reply,

I've already done that. I apologize that I didn't mention that in my first post.

The issue is that the options have no explanation whatsoever of what they do. In the handbook, it gives you some of the options, but those options come with explanations. What I am looking for is a lint like list, but with the descriptions included line by line.

Suggestions?

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

With both /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES and /usr/src/sys/${ARCH}/conf/NOTES you have pretty much all options including descriptions for most of them.

dcbdbis said:
What I am looking for is a lint like list, but with the descriptions included line by line.

You're not the only one here. Unfortunately such a list does not exist (and I doubt we'll see one any time soon). The best you can do is to consult the man pages.

Thank you for all who responded, and thanks to @SirDice fro providing the answer.

I wasn't aware of another location for config. The /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES file, coupled with the NOTES file specific to my ${ARCH} provides me with the full-monty documentation.

I really do appreciate it. I am good to go now.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
My thanks to all who responded,

I now have a monolithic kernel. I continue to build all modules when I build the kernel 'cause you never know when you might need something.

The only modules kldstat reports are VirtualBox modules, and the NVidia kernel module.

Again, Thanks to all!

Dave

Back