ATI driver?

Hello,

I've been looking up on stuff before I make my choice to install FreeBSD. I ran into a problem, which was/is a pain under linux, but it seems becoming an obstacle here as well: I have an ATI HD3850 card, and the chances to change it to an NVIDIA, although I want to, are pretty slim. On the other hand, I play some Windows games (WoW and some others) via wine, which requires 3D acceleration.

Is FreeBSD has a propriatery ATI driver? (As far as I know, open-source drivers just don't cut it when it comes to playing games, but prove me wrong, so I could forget about that :p)

Dinchamion said:
(As far as I know, open-source drivers just don't cut it when it comes to playing games, but prove me wrong, so I could forget about that :p)

As for now and for the future NVidia or ATi do not cut when it comes to video games crap even on Windows. Get yourself a PowerPC based XBox or Sony Playstation3 or whatever new toy is on the market. You will save yourself a lots of frustration and be able really to enjoy your hobby. FreeBSD is not a toy.

Oko said:
As for now and for the future NVidia or ATi do not cut when it comes to video games crap even on Windows. Get yourself a PowerPC based XBox or Sony Playstation3 or whatever new toy is on the market. You will save yourself a lots of frustration and be able really to enjoy your hobby. FreeBSD is not a toy.

As soon as they start to develop and port stuff I'm interested in (like WoW, EVE Online, and a bunch of other stuff, both online and single player), I might think about buying a console.

However, until then, I'm kinda stuck with my PC. And it's not even that, why shouldn't I use FreeBSD to whatever the hell I want to use it for? I play less and less these days, and I plan to go into programming and development deeper and deeper... but if there is an option to do all things on the same box (and there is, unless I missed something), why shouldn't I?

Anyway, I'll just buy an NVIDIA card, I was planning it anyway, but I wanted to check if I could avoid it by any chance. (I have some other things to shop for too)

Any news or horizons for the 64-bit NVIDIA driver available any time soon?

Thanks for the help to all! :)

Dinchamion said:
Any news or horizons for the 64-bit NVIDIA driver available any time soon?

The functionality needed in the FreeBSD kernel for a 64bit nvidia driver is making it's way into the kernel rather quickly. That functionality should be present in 8.0-RELEASE. Then nvidia actually needs to port the driver...

As of May 15th, Zander at nvidia said:

It'll likely be a little while before everything falls into place, but a lot of progress has been made in the last month.

I'd guess that it will be another few months before beta drivers are available.

Adam

Thanks, that's a reasonable time, and I googled the issue, and was positively surprised on NVIDIA's attitude. (Again, it's quite possible I'm lagging behind the events, but it was nice to see collaboration from the company)

Back