Supermicro X9DR3-F and SAS

Hello everyone,
I'm new here in forum so greetings for all.

I got this Supermicro server built on the X9DR3-F motherboard with Intel C606 chipset. There are 2 SAS disks connected through SCU and 1 SSD connected on SATA port.
I tried to install FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE but OS cannot see SAS disks. SSD disk is available but only if it is connected on SATA port. If I reconnect it on SCU, it gets unavailable as well.
Does anyone here have similar (or the same) experience?
Are there any special drivers which needs to be applied? I tried to search as usually but with no success.
Important note: It works with FreeBSD 9.1-RC3 but as it will be production machine I am quite scared to run it on RC version.

Thank you very much for any hint or advice.

Jan

9.1-RELEASE is just around the corner, so if you can wait a few weeks (it should be out by then), then you're good :) The last RC is normally almost identical to the release version anyway.

I think the recent infrastructure compromise just delayed the release a little more.

(I personally trust the team enough to immediately take a new -RELEASE into production after a successful test upgrade, because of their very conservative 'release when ready, not when it's time' philosophy, but that's something you should decide for yourself)

Thank you both..

I found more information regarding this: FreeBSD newly 9.1 provides kernel driver isci(4) which makes devices attached to SCU on this particular board available for OS. The same kernel driver is provided in FreeBSD 8.3 as well.
I will probably wait for the 9.1-RELEASE version.

Jan

javon said:
Thank you both..

I found more information regarding this: FreeBSD newly 9.1 provides kernel driver isci(4) which makes devices attached to SCU on this particular board available for OS. The same kernel driver is provided in FreeBSD 8.3 as well.
I will probably wait for the 9.1-RELEASE version.

Jan

Hi, Jan. How did it work? I want to buy this motherboard and use it for FreeNAS with SAS drives. Did you test your motherboard with 9.1-RELEASE and maybe 8.3.1?

Back