KDE is either a Ram Hog or misconfigured, It's slow

This is command-line stuff.

radeonhd was an alternate driver. It's no longer being maintained.

radeon is a part of xf86-video-ati, which is actively maintained and supports three different kinds of ATI cards.

Logged in as root, make a backup of /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
# cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

Check whether xf86-video-ati is installed:
# pkg_info -Ix xf86-video-ati

If it isn't already installed, install it from x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati.

Modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf with a text editor:
# ee /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier      "Card0"
    Screen           0
    Driver         "radeon"
    VendorName     "Radeon Video Driver"
    #Option         "AccelMethod" "EXA"
    #Option         "DRI" "true"
    BusID      "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection

Restart X or the desktop or the whole machine.

wblock I do have my old Xorg.conf backed up.. ( same as the pastebin from earlier)

Gimmie a sec to see what Adam says about my changes and I may try your suggestion. Er.. i dont want your info and his info to conflict. Er.. perhaps you can each suggest why you think your option will be the better solution? Sorry.. don't wanna start a war between you two and me in the middle.

Your drivers are now installed and functioning properly. A newer version of Mesa might perform better, but it's not yet available in ports, so just stick with what you have for now.

So use KDE for a bit and then decide how it's performing compared to before.

Adam

adamk said:
Your drivers are now installed and functioning properly. A newer version of Mesa might perform better, but it's not yet available in ports, so just stick with what you have for now.

So use KDE for a bit and then decide how it's performing compared to before.

Adam

It appears to be much faster now, thanks.. as well as Firefox because i told Firefox to use acceleration if possible. Whats the best way i can test this 3d acceleration? In windows I'd run a game or look at the direct X tools to benchmark and test the video.. How do i do that for this system?

Oh.. and what about the shared component? how can i be sure this system is really using my shared memory like it's supposed to? My max id 1.2 gigabytes of shared just for use with video ram. My dedicated video ram is is 128 or 336 depending on which info tool you use, so it must use at least around 900 or 1000 megabytes of shared ram - Does kern.ipc.shmmax take that much into account?

You could install one of the opengl games from ports, such as neverball or openarena. Be sure to disable compositing in KDE if you have it turned on, before playing any opengl games.

I have no idea about checking the shared memory.

It's two ways of getting to the same thing, the right driver, which you now have. So don't worry about that.

glxgears and the output of glxinfo are the ways to check 3D support. games/ioquake3 and games/openarena-oax are more visible.

Leave the shared memory sysctl alone unless something doesn't work right.

Thanks folks.. all of you who helped in this thread. Sorry I got flustered, but I learned something so it's all good.. i think.

I choose to ask here instead of the PC-BSD forum because this one is more active, and i assume it's all the same under the hood. To get such answers over there would have taken considerably longer. The appeal for me is that it's geared to the desktop user, but the docs are lacking and the help is slow at times. still I enjoy the OS and wish no one to look down on them.. they will get there.. just takes time.

Replacing hard disk with SSD drive in my laptop proved to be most effective when it comes to KDE experience.

You're confusing two different types of shared memory. First one is done on the hardware where part of the physical memory is dedicated to graphics adapter to be used as the framebuffer. Second one is a software level thing where two unrelated processes can use shared memory for inter-process communication (IPC). The sysctl deals with the latter.

kpa said:
You're confusing two different types of shared memory. First one is done on the hardware where part of the physical memory is dedicated to graphics adapter to be used as the framebuffer. Second one is a software level thing where two unrelated processes can use shared memory for inter-process communication (IPC). The sysctl deals with the latter.

Very interesting Kpa. thank you for clearing that up for me.

Back