FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE !

killasmurf86 said:
Will release notes be added later, or they will stay the way they are on CD/DVD? hmmm

Does this means that DVD/CD's will be updated?

I think the CD image will be updated, but not the binary included in the CD, only the release note.

After the final announcement, make update and make build (kernel world) will keep everything updated.

I've started building OOO packages.
I decided That I won't be able to provide packages for all langs so I picked some commons langs... (about 9 languages + allang)

In Beastie we trust ;)

Dam, had to abort...
something fishy is happening to power..... I have some small UPS, but afther yet another power fickering system hanged.....

Awesome !

I'm definitely gonna start a fresh install using amd64 to actually use those four gigs of Ram !

(In a few weeks, though... Not the time now.)

vermaden said:
There wont be official packages on ftp.freebsd.org?
No, unfortunately they are never there. I never understood why. It's probably not a size thing since it's probably smaller than GNOME or KDE for example. Maybe a license thing?

And the worst part is that the unofficial source stopped making builds for the i386 quite a long time ago and only builds for AMD.

@Beastie

So maybe we should ask FreeBSD developers WHY openoffice is not included ... (I assume that they read this).

Same for packages gnu screen and lame (OpenBSD have these packages so ...what is the problem?)

I've send mail to ports-freebsd@freebsd.org
I and some other FreeBSD users are wondering why there are no
OpenOffice.org package available on FreeBSD Mirrors?

Everyone have them, even OpenBSD. What's the reason?

OpenBSD even have package for lame.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
Thanks for FreeBSD-8 :D

P.S.S.
Sorry if this wrong mailinglist to ask.

vivek said:
Note the official scheduled date is 25/Nov/2009 (from the /usr/src/UPDATING). If you are using csup use tag RELENG_8 for stable 8.

Or RELENG_8_0 if you want to follow the security updates to 8.0-RELEASE.

RELENG_8 will get you 8-STABLE (what will eventually become 8.1, and so on).

Years of training leads me to not post in this thread

vermaden said:
@killasmurf86

Ok, I am curious how many devs are actually reading these forums.

Probably a dozen or more. But the odds that any given dev might read any given thread (especially one like this) are low. To that point: freebsd-questions@ will frequently get several mails a week asking when N.X-RELEASE is due. The obvious solution is to let the less important (substitute a term more to your liking if this offends you (NB I am an extremely unimportant reader and infrequent poster to freebsd-questions@)) people answer it, generally by posting a link to the FAQ.

In summary: I would think that years of training would lead them to not read this thread.

vermaden said:
Ok, I am curious how many devs are actually reading these forums.
I've seen occasional posts by Ariff Abdullah, Gavin Atkinson, Philippe Audeoud, Joel Dahl, Brad Davis, Lars Engels, Daniel Geržo, Manolis Kiagias, Juergen Lock, Ion-Mihai Tetcu, Florent Thoumie, Robert Watson, etc.
Most of them are devs.

For posting, most of the devs that have accounts on here will show up with @freebsd under their username.

As for reading ... well, anyone can read the forums without an account, so it's virtually impossible to say. :)

Hmmmm,

Everytime i do portsnap fetch my machine is hang(sometime crash and needs do manual fsck), anyone facing same problem ?

For those of you rushing to get 8-REL: don't forget about http://torrents.freebsd.org:8080/

Please help seed any torrent you download (or if you already have one of the images, download the torrent file and help seed).

Additional tip: if you get -all, you will get -bootonly, -disc1, -dvd1, -memstick and -livefs. You can then seed -all, and the other five!

vermaden said:

From what I understand, distributing binaries of LAME is not smiled upon by the MP3 patent holders and thus could be a potential legal liability. Source distribution seems to be ok, though (which is why it's in ports.)

I couldn't wait and tonight I've rebuilt world and kernel and got...prerelease again :) I'd rather been more patient.
Thanks a lot, devs!

@BlueJayofEvil

But that does not scares off OpenBSD, which has lame package ... and what problems are about sysutils/screen package?

vermaden said:
and what problems are about sysutils/screen package?

There was a time when it was impossible to build a package of sysutils/screen, but that problem has been solved (though I think there's still an open PR about it).

Back