[CFT] linux_base-c6 with CentOS 6.5, linux-c6 ports, Skype

Re: [CFT] linux_base-c6 with CentOS 6.5, linux-c6 ports, Sky

By the way, I'm not sure if I've also said thanks--but many, many thanks for your work, documentation, and willingness to help when things didn't work well. As I'm pretty sure I've said somewhere in this thread, skype now works for me as long as I change sound devices from default to OSS, and flash now works without me doing anything but merging your Linux ports and installing it.

wblock@ said:
When do you plan to commit these?

I've submitted PR ports/186820. I should probably request an exp-run soon and get one of the committers to take that PR :)

scottro said:
By the way, I'm not sure if I've also said thanks--but many, many thanks for your work, documentation, and willingness to help when things didn't work well.

You're welcome!

scottro said:
As I'm pretty sure I've said somewhere in this thread, skype now works for me as long as I change sound devices from default to OSS, and flash now works without me doing anything but merging your Linux ports and installing it.

Skype should by now *just work* -- I've changed the config file installed by audio/linux-c6-alsa-plugins-oss on Sunday to make OSS the default.

Yup, you're right. Just did another quick test install, following the instructions, and skype just worked, no need for any adjustments on my part. Gets better and better.

Thanks a lot for this work :)
I can report one probelm this skype installation causes, though. It installs a linux DRI package linux-c6-**dri* as a dependency, installing libGL.so** , which conflicts with the file from x11/nvidia-driver installed into the same place in /compat/linux.
How could I handle this one? In Linux I would just overwrite the files, but here on FreeBSD this doesn't seem possible with the existing packaging tools.

Thanks a lot in any case.

free-and-bsd said:
I can report one probelm this skype installation causes, though. It installs a linux DRI package linux-c6-**dri* as a dependency [...]

I've added an issue on Github for this problem here- https://github.com/xmj/linux-ports/issues/16.

Please be patient on this one. As PR ports/187786 delivered results yesterday there's still a lot of things in the backlog before I get towards cleaning up Skype's DRI conflicts.

Sure, I'll be patient on this one. Besides, I'm in no hurry with skype. I was actually trying to run DraftSight and since it required more recent version of glibc, I had to use your version of linux_base-c6.

EDIT:
After my successful efforts to run DraftSight in linux compat mode I can figure out the quick and "dirty" fix for the libGL.so file problem. It'll be to manually extract the linux DRI RPM into /compat/linux, without portmaster knowing about it, so it will then have no problem installing x11/nvidia-driver and overwriting the file in question.
And anyway, from my longtime experience with nvidia-driver in linux and other Unix systems I understand it that nvidia-driver, when installing, provides its own GL libs anyway, so it deletes those installed (moves them to a backup location). Given this, I don't see why libGL.so from the DRI installation is supposed to be such a terrible problem that the installer should exit with errors...

free-and-bsd said:
After my successful efforts to run DraftSight in linux compat mode I can figure out the quick and "dirty" fix for the libGL.so file problem. It'll be to manually extract the linux DRI RPM into /compat/linux, without portmaster knowing about it, so it will then have no problem installing x11/nvidia-driver and overwriting the file in question.

The Right Way to Do That (tm) is to do it like in games/linux-rtcw as seen here- https://github.com/xmj/linux-ports/blob/master/games/linux-rtcw/Makefile#L29:
* provide an option for NVIDIA_GL (lines 29,30)
* conditionally set the RUN_DEPENDS on either x11/nvidia-driver or graphics/linux-c6-dri as seen in lines 34-38

If you'd like to play around with it and then submit a working patch, I'd welcome that :)

Thanks for the link, @xmj :). These lines were already present in the Makefile, though commented out. So I uncommented them and made them look exactly like the lines in the Makefile you linked to. So what? It works OK with no downsides visible yet!

Only, I don't know how to make patches. Besides, there's this strange behaviour in skype: it only works when started as root!
When started as non root it doesn't start up at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

free-and-bsd said:
When started as non root it doesn't start up at all.

That's an issue we've identified on http://www.bsdforen.de before. So far no one has come up with a real solution, but I found this workaround:

Code:
$ skype --secondary

will let you start a Skype instance even if it for some reason believes you're already running one.

I suspect there's a stale lockfile lying around somewhere, though I do have no idea where to look.

xmj said:
free-and-bsd said:
I suspect there's a stale lockfile lying around somewhere, though I do have no idea where to look.
Neither have I found any, even using locate or truss didn't give anything. BTW, could it be linked to webcamd? Because this one deals with devices and device drivers, and that may need root privileges...
Actually, from what I remember from my Windows Skype experiences, it must all be in ~/.Skype folder. So maybe look into /root/.Skype for that matter? Will check it.

Hi folks, I've just installed net-im/skype4 on my Lenovo IdeaPad S400 with FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE amd64. I'd say that the result slightly differs from anything described in this thread. Well:

• * Sound: works great, audio calls with built-in microphone work.
    * Camera detection: skype correctly detects my camera in Options -> Video Devices. Pressing Test button starts video of myself, camera led light turns on.
    * Video call: doesn't start. (Options -> Video Devices -> Start my video automatically is checked.)
    * Video incoming call: no popup video window appears.
Very strange because camera is detected and working, isn't it? When I try a videocall, skype doesn't emit any error message into terminal (except three fontconfig errors/warnings). An another Linux application (Flash plugin) uses the camera without problems.

What could it be? What kind of info should I post?

Any update on when are these going to be committed? They are working here, and there have been security advisories for several of the linux-f10 ports.

Unsure. I'll hopefully have the patches ready for a second exprun this weekend (25th/26th) including CVE/CESA fixes to linux-c6- ports.
After that's submitted and the usual fixing, I think it becomes a matter of someone else reviewing them (emulation@? other ideas?).

Seeing how almost entire Linux compatibility layer based on Fedora 10 is now vulnerable to Heartbleed, will this port replace it anytime soon, or will it still be in testing for a while?

Also, do you think that Steam for Linux will be able to run here on FreeBSD now?

jozze said:
Seeing how almost entire Linux compatibility layer based on Fedora 10 is now vulnerable to Heartbleed, will this port replace it anytime soon, or will it still be in testing for a while?

Our Linux stack is not vulnerable to Heartbleed as Fedora 10 uses OpenSSL 0.9.8g and Heartbleed only applies to unmitigated OpenSSL versions between 1.0.1 and 1.0.1g. Also it only applies to applications running as daemons and linking against those libraries ...

Of course, due to being that old security/linux-f10-openssl is vulnerable to multiple other critical vulnerabilities:

CVE-2009-1377
CVE-2009-1378
CVE-2011-3207
CVE-2011-3210

jozze said:
Also, do you think that Steam for Linux will be able to run here on FreeBSD now?

Not until someone manages to implement epoll and eventfd syscalls. Please see this thread: viewtopic.php?&t=40691

Oh, thanks. I thought that most of the security issues with Linux stack originated from the recent Heartbleed bug. But where do these vulnerabilities stem from then?
Code:
$ pkg audit
linux-f10-expat-2.0.1 is vulnerable:
expat2 -- Parser crash with specially formatted UTF-8 sequences
CVE: CVE-2009-3720
WWW: http://portaudit.FreeBSD.org/5f030587-e39a-11de-881e-001aa0166822.html

linux-f10-png-1.2.37_2 is vulnerable:
png -- memory corruption/possible remote code execution
CVE: CVE-2011-3048
WWW: http://portaudit.FreeBSD.org/262b92fe-81c8-11e1-8899-001ec9578670.html

linux-f10-tiff-3.8.2 is vulnerable:
tiff -- Multiple integer overflows
CVE: CVE-2009-2347
WWW: http://portaudit.FreeBSD.org/8816bf3a-7929-11df-bcce-0018f3e2eb82.html
I also had to remove www/linux-f10-flashplugin11 and some other linux-f10* ports.

Are these ports going to be fixed (can they be fixed at all?), or should I just replace the lot with CentOS base that you're providing?

The vulnerabilities aren't exactly new - 2011-XX-XXXX or earlier should give you a hint to this. What's new is that we've finally taken our time to update the vuxml. As to whether they're going to be fixed, sure, if you find someone to find it worthwhile to clean up five to six year old baggage ... ;-)

I took a stab at installing these for the flash plugin support for Firefox. (I got tired of seeing the vulnerability warnings for the Fedora-based ports). I followed the instructions at http://github.com/xmj/linux-ports/ but found that the flashplayer had no sound. (Video seemed OK). I installed the audio/linux-c6-alsa-plugins-oss, but couldn't configure to get the sound working. I had selected the pulseaudio option in the Firefox. Do you think it would it help to rebuild Firefox with the alsa option instead?
Failing to get it to work, I reluctantly disabled the vulnerabilities check and went back to the linux_base-f10 ports for now.

I did install Skype 4 (CentOS 6.5) and it works very well but the problem started two days ago: Skype doesn't start. Than I tried from terminal and I got:

Code:
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number

Then I deleted the Skype directory and started Skype again and it works. But after quit and start again I have the same problem as I wrote above.

My system is FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE and I use KDE 4.12.5

Thank you.

@protocelt Can you suggest some drivers for 64 bit? I tried your given link but those drivers are not supporting 64 bit. Waiting for your reply. Thanks in advance.

Just another note about some of the linux ports. The new net/citrix_ica from the git repository and built with c6 instead of f10, i.e., after merging the git repository into ports, does not work. It complains about not having permission to run /usr/local/ICAClient/wfica. The prior port, before merging, worked fine. It did have some files in odd places though.

IdaFFullmer said:
Protocelt Can you suggest some drivers for 64 bit? I tried your given link but those drivers are not supporting 64 bit. Waiting for your reply. Thanks in advance.
Although you were addressing some other person... will you, meantime, tell the whole story about the "drivers"? Perhaps, somebody else will be able to help?

IdaFFullmer said:
@protocelt Can you suggest some drivers for 64 bit? I tried your given link but those drivers are not supporting 64 bit. Waiting for your reply. Thanks in advance.

Hi @IdaFFullme,

I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you're asking about webcam drivers, no OEM drivers exist for webcams used with FreeBSD. The webcam drivers are handled by the multimedia/webcamd port. If you need more information it may help to post your question in a more appropriate forum as you'll most likely get better answers and it is a bit off topic for this thread topic.

Regards

fernandel said:
I did install Skype 4 (CentOS 6.5) and it works very well but the problem started two days ago: Skype doesn't start. Than I tried from terminal and I got:

Code:
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number

Then I deleted the Skype directory and started Skype again and it works. But after quit and start again I have the same problem as I wrote above.

My system is FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE and I use KDE 4.12.5

Thank you.
Yes, I now have the same problem with skype: it doesn't start and moving /compat/linux/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf out of the way doesn't halp the matter, of course.

Back