Chromium

I'm very familiar with desire to have as little dependencies installed as possible, but how would you like it another way?

As I understand it only needs crucial libs- libgstautodetect.so, libgstogg.so, libgsttheora.so, libgstvorbis.so, libgstwavparse.so, provided by gstreamer-plugins-core.

For Windows they ported gstreamer and every binary is shipped with it- you have no choice.

P.S. Speaking about dependencies, take notice that final Opera 10.5n will use whatever you have on your system - be it GTK, QT or plain X for drawing interface, so it's big one dependency-wise :)

>but how would you like it another way?

>take notice that final Opera 10.5n will use whatever you have on your system

No, Opera 10.5 will use Vega and QT isn't necessary anymore (thanks God). Something similar for h264 would be great.

oliverh said:
>but how would you like it another way?

>take notice that final Opera 10.5n will use whatever you have on your system

No, Opera 10.5 will use Vega and QT isn't necessary anymore (thanks God). Something similar for h264 would be great.

Yes, QT as well as GTK isn't necessary but if present, will be used for styling.

Speaking of h264 additional gstreamer plugins can take care of this.

( http://my.opera.com/ruario/blog/201...ith-opera-10-50-on-linux-unix#comment18602411 )

>Speaking of h264 additional gstreamer plugins can take care of this.

Yes, but that's exactly the point: gstreamer is just a huge dependency hell. See, I'm using something like fvwm/openbox, urxvt, lots of console applications and a browser. Sometimes lynx/links is just enough, but once in a while I need some full-grown browser like Opera or FF. In OpenBSD I'm using Midori (webkit), in FreeBSD/Slack I'm using Opera. But using more and more dependencies I could also use Firefox again. FF is a massive ressource hog in my opinion, therefore I'm using Opera. It's just a musing of mine ;-)

Oh, we could quarrel who has the lightest/cleanest system (I would probably use surf/uzbl but webkit pulls dbus for which there is no place on my machine..), this is obviously pointless, the point is Opera 10.5n will handle this new mumbo-jumbo <video> tag and probably will be still lighter than Fx. Did I already mention it will probably be fastest browser too?

I personally have high hopes for Opera 10.5n, I've already tested the builds that were made available, all can I say is that it's fast and not ready for production yet. I have not tested <video> capabilities due to fact I don't have gstreamer, I will give it a second thought when Opera will be stable enough, still better than embedding video in flash I hope..

Well, there is the possibility of Theora (AFAIK there is even support in Opera 10.x), but quality-wise it's nothing I would consider at the current state.

I've started offering subscriptions to fund Chromium development. I'm using a new funding model, where my patches are closed for at most 1 year after the release date of a build, after which they're made available to subscribers under the same BSD license as Chromium. Also, I'm always making large parts of my patches available to Chromium devs to be pushed upstream, so the goal is to constantly push patches into the Chromium repo even sooner, which a Chromium dev has noted as already helping them out. The latest subscriber builds have fixes for nagging issues that have been around for awhile, like cleaning up orphaned processes or removing the dependency on procfs.

sk8harddiefast said:
Do we know where exactly will chrome released on ports ready for installation?

I think they're waiting for alsa to get committed to the ports tree before they can add chromium (can someone confirm this?)

Alsa will never get committed because it's the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. Besides, newer chromium builds work with OSS :)

I just found it myself :)

BTW, I'm wondering if this means that we can now use newer versions of skype with these compat libraries?

Sorry for offtopic.

Keep in mind that building chromium requires a lot of disk space.

from the jaggeri site:
You'll need Aragon's ALSA ports, along with 1.5 GBs of free disk space for a normal build, 5-7 GBs for a Debug build.

Also, on the same site, there are some old makefiles and a package if you want to try it for yourself.

I have ~ 4 TB.
This is not problem.
The more logical question i have is...... why so much space for a browser?
Even chrome os is not so big!!!

Seriously, it's a browser. Offload all that stuff to a real application.

The reason I have no love for chrome is the same reason I have no love for IE: it's lame & it's backed by one of the biggest computing and software giants on the planet. There is literally no excuse for it to be so lame.

I was using chrome from the first day. It was the fastest, lightest and best browser for me. It was running like a rocket! It was much better than mozilla and all the other browsers i have used.
Because i change to bsd (for now and forever :) ) i have to use chrome over 4 months (last time on gentoo) and was running just perfect!

Just tried to install and got this:

Code:
===>  chromium-5.0.359 conflicts with installed package(s): 
      icu-3.8.1_3

They install files into the same place.
      Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/chromium

Is it save to remove icu?

Thanks! In general how to find all ports depending on the port given?
Not what this port depends on but what depends on this port?
Without pkg_delete <port> of course :)

For an installed port/package: pkg_info -r and/or pkg_info -R (see pkg_info(1)).

For a non-installed port: make build-depends-list, make-run-depends-list, make missing, etc (see /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk, under 'Default targets and their behaviors')

When chrome will be released on ports will be also so big?
Also if i copy the port on ports now (on www section) when chrome will be released on ports will replace this port or i will have 2 chrome os ports and the destruction will come?

Back