Chromium

No luck for me :(
I cannot make flash work
I make a link of libfalshplayer.so on /usr/local/share/chromium/plugins
Restart Chrome but is not working :(
Any other ideas?

Not libflashplayer.so. That's a linux library. You need to copy or link in the FreeBSD one generated by nspluginwrapper.

Adam

Flash doesn't need to be present anywhere in Chrome's directories. Read post #39 again. The exact search locations are behind the link.

nekoexmachina said:
Even if it will fit the gtk theme, the tabs-in-window-title-with-buttons still are no good.

You can circumvent that by chooosing 'Use system title bar and borders' maybe? (right-click on the title bar, pick option, and resize or min/maximise to make it take effect).

(right-click on the title bar, pick option, and resize or min/maximise to make it take effect).
Okay then (didn't try it, but i believe you). Still 'oops' theme and plugins. :)
vimperator, resurrect that, system player, stylish, adblock, greasemonkey.

I like Chrome a lot, and always recommend it to Windows users with low system resources, but for me its not that useful because, like most Webkit browsers, it does not support the gopher protocol. Still, I might try building it for fun.

Ah, pesky patents. Well, considering the contentious code is pretty much irrelevant on FreeBSD maybe it'd help if the port removed Courgette from the build?

It was removed, as noted on the PR, along with MPEG-LA patented codecs and I'm hosting the tarball myself. Courgette isn't even compiled on linux or FreeBSD, so it was easy to just remove the source. Apparently they want to make sure of that though.

With the newest port, I lost my /usr/local/include/unicode directory. While I am building the new chromium port, the running old chromium instance crashed and freezed my system. I had to hard reset my computer, and /tmp on my system is volatile so the backup is lost. please help.

Where would I post a question about Chromium?

As installed by the instructions found on http://wiki.freebsd.org/Chromium

After all the installs, chromium launches but no pages are shown. Can be seen in ps -as to still be running, but like I said no visible page.

Not sure where to look for error messages either.

This was installed from the source.

Also, when reading some of the postings already made. I added the following to the sysctl.conf
Code:
kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1

Running 8.1 current.

Thanks in advance

morbit said:
What kind of slow we are speaking of?

Care to compare Opera 10.60 ( http://www.opera.com/download/ )
and Chromium with Sunspider, google V8 and Peacekeeper?

Takes for ever for a web page to load. Sometimes, I will see the text links show and then 10/20 seconds later. Color and format will load. I can look at the same page on my windows machine, and they load almost instantly.

I am not trying to trash talk opera, love it on windows. But I find it seriously lacking on FreeBSD. Which to be truthful, is why I went to the trouble of loading Chrome.

Now, my FreeBSD machine is only a p4 with 2 gig of memory. But, this should not affect how long a web page takes to load. How long it takes an application to launch, yes I understand. But not the web page loading.

There is something fishy going on, but it's definitely not the fault of Opera. There are many people in FreeBSD using Opera since years without any such major problems. That said, anything beyond Firefox is better in my opinion ;-)

I've noticed the same problems with recent versions of opera. It took me a while to discover that it was related to my squid proxy. Every other browser works just fine with it, but with opera pages partially load and then stall for up to half a minute before they finish loading.

EDIT:

And sometimes, btw, though the page appears to be fully loaded, the cursor still continues to show that the page is still loading and doesn't stop till I close opera or browse to another page. If I connect directly, rather than through the proxy, I do not have this problem.

It could be NSL (never stop loading) problem described by quite few people (also on Windows).

However I'm still interested in comparison of raw JS/rendering performance between Chromium port / Opera 10.6. While Opera on Windows is faster than on FreeBSD, it's still the fastest browser available to us. If it's not the case, I would like to be proven otherwise.

RES/SIZE after/before tests would be nice bonus (top).

Hi guys. I installed chrome and i set
Code:
kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1
on /etc/sysctl.conf but still crashes immediately.
Running chrome from terminal i get this:
Code:
chrome
[0915/065155:WARNING:base/debug_util_posix.cc(228)] Don't know how to do this
I use the latest port from here: http://chromium.hybridsource.org/port.
Any idea?

The need for kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed was removed at least two builds ago. It needs to be set to 0 (default).

By the way, don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but http://chromium.hybridsource.org/ now features a FreeBSD 8.0-amd64 Chromium-clang build (Chrome 7.0.509.0 to be precise) which works perfectly on my 8.1-STABLE/amd64 build.

Note that version 7 is usually only available to paying subscribers. The port is still 'stuck' on v 5. Grab it while you can. You can simply unpack the tar.bz2 file and run 'chrome' from the resulting directory (it will pick up your current settings from Chrome 5). Leave the installed port intact for now though, and back up your existing settings directory (~/.config/chromium) first, because Chrome 7 may introduce/change stuff that doesn't work in Chrome 5.

Use at your own risk.

Back