How to enable 6 channel audio ?

Hi,
I am running FreeBSD 10. The onboard sound of my motherboard is capable of 6 channel output. How do I enable it under FreeBSD ?

Code:
hdac0: <NVIDIA MCP61 HDA Controller> mem 0xdff78000-0xdff7bfff irq 23 at device 5.0 on pci0

If I need to install something new to achieve this please see if the package is available in the repositories. I am totally loving FreeBSD but the only thing I find frustrating is compiling because it takes a huge amount of time.

I don't really blame FreeBSD for that. I guess low system specifications and a slow DSL connection are the main causes.

Please show the output of the cat /dev/sndstat command. If it does not show the Nvidia as the default sound device, set it using the command sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=[file]N[/file], where N is the numeric portion of the pcmN device that corresponds to the device you want to be the default sound device.

Once you get it working, put the sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=[file]N[/file] in your /etc/sysctl.conf file to set it for future reboots.

trh411 said:
Please show the output of the cat /dev/sndstat command. If it does not show the Nvidia as the default sound device, set it using the command sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=[file]N[/file], where N is the numeric portion of the pcmN device that corresponds to the device you want to be the default sound device.

Once you get it working, put the sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=[file]N[/file] in your /etc/sysctl.conf file to set it for future reboots.

Code:
$ cat /dev/sndstat
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Realtek ALC888 (Rear Analog)> (play/rec) default
pcm1: <Realtek ALC888 (Front Analog)> (play/rec)
pcm2: <Realtek ALC888 (Rear Digital)> (play)

I tried
Code:
sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=0

Still getting 2 channel audio so didn't apply it to /etc/sysctl.conf.

Well, no, pcm0 is your RealTek audio device, not your Nvidia MCP61 HDA device. Please copy the contents of dmesg to pastebin and post the link here. It's unclear why the Nvidia MCP61 HDA device is not showing up as an installed device in the /dev/sndstat output. The output of dmesg(8) might tell us why.

Sorry for necro this, but I think its needed. Put:
Code:
dev.pcm.0.play.vchanformat=s16le:5.1
into /etc/sysctl.conf, where '0' defines your default sound device. Sound work pretty well here playing 5.1 videos with mplayer.

Back