Forums Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the remaining problems left after the migration is that tags in [ UPPER CASE ] are not parsed, while [ lower case ] are, for example [ FILE ] is not parsed while [ file ] is parsed.

In case this issue was already reported, ignore me ;)

I need to apologize for being rude and not considering the opinions and feelings of others.

vermaden said:
One of the remaining problems left after the migration is that tags in [ UPPER CASE ] are not parsed, while [ lower case ] are, for example [ FILE ] is not parsed while [ file ] is parsed.

I think I mentioned this earlier, but still: when you submit or preview a post phpBB converts tags into lower case. Furthermore, phpBB only parses lower case tags indeed, so it doesn't parse any upper case tags in posts imported from vBulletin. However, if you do a "null edit" (click edit, change nothing, click submit) those tags are converted into lowercase and will therefore suddenly be parsed again.

fonz said:
vermaden said:

I think I mentioned this earlier, but still: when you submit or preview a post phpBB converts tags into lower case. Furthermore, phpBB only parses lower case tags indeed, so it doesn't parse any upper case tags in posts imported from vBulletin. However, if you do a "null edit" (click edit, change nothing, click submit) those tags are converted into lowercase and will therefore suddenly be parsed again.

Yes, that would probably work, but what about all the old threads like that one below, should I now check my 2000+ posts and pseudo-edit them?
viewtopic.php?t=31662

vermaden said:
but what about all the old threads like that one below, should I now check my 2000+ posts and pseudo-edit them?
Obviously, we couldn't possibly ask anyone to do that! It would be nice if you can occasionally "null-edit" old posts if you happen to come across them, but if we decide to stick with phpBB, which isn't even certain yet, we'll probably have to come up with some sort of SQL query that does this for the entire forum database. In fact, if I remember correctly someone already posted a suggestion somewhere earlier in this thread.

fonz said:
but if we decide to stick with phpBB, which isn't even certain yet
There seem to be a lot of mixed feelings about the migration to phpBB. What are your experiences after the migration from vBulletin to phpBB?

What's up with the favicon? One minute it's back like it was in the old forums, then it's gone for hours and the phpBB default one is back. Have you guys been working on it or is my browser playing tricks on me? I currently have multiple tabs open, some with the FreeBSD icon and others with the phpBB icon. :q

Summary: you lack admins who are masochistic enough to enjoy both Unix admin work and digging into someone else's PHP spaghetti.

I was once like that before I met WordPress. Now it's my bitch, so to speak. You must come to the same agreement with phpBB or SMF or whatever you eventually migrate to. It's inevitable. Give in, let the PHP loveliness wash over you, and accept that it's all garbage, but extremely easy to hack into whatever you want it to be. :) And also rate-limit your outbound mail, Postfix has a few policy servers that let you set a sane policy that will protect you from any future spambot mail explosions.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised that it was a last-minute change given the multiple high-profile vBulletin hacks in the past few months. And no real public follow-up on just how or if the issue was fixed (edit: to be clear, no feedback from the vBulletin people).

You know, I was recently spending some time on an Invision "PowerBoards" forum. Some things about it suck, but for the end user, it's pretty damn slick. Nice "solved question" function, an option to collect posts into "articles" (which would actually be a huge benefit for this site, and something every forum should really support intstead of endless "sticky threads"), a search that works (Sphinx underneath it seems), and a really, really usable mobile theme. I think it has just about everything people have requested built-in.

I suspect it's out of the question since it's commercial and it requires IonCube or the Zend Decoder thing, but it would be quite sweet. I would bet the Foundation could talk those folks into a discounted or free license...

Darn it, @DutchDaemon. See what happens when I split for a few months? Aarrrgghhh! They changed the forums completely after I had just gotten familiar with entering everything properly (well, mostly). Oh well.

Are they going to fix the tag issues? My posts, along with others, look quite butchered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simba7 said:
Are they going to fix the tag issues? My posts, along with others, look quite butchered.
Have you read about the "null edit" (*) thing? The more common tags should all work now, except that nested tags don't always work. In particular, no tags appear to be parsed inside [.code] tags.

Ad (*): It's not an official term, just something I coined for lack of a better word.

The URL tags work fine for me. For example, when I want to lead people to my homepage (shame and fame ;)) then it seems to be working quite smoothly. Hover and you'll see that it's using only the domain catslair.org without any www part, and it still works.

This is what I used:

Code:
For example, when I want to lead people to [url=http://catslair.org]my homepage[/url] (shame and fame ;)) then it seems to be working quite smoothly.

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the offtopic section or in this thread. Although it doesn't really concern the status of this forum I still think it sheds some more light on the seriousness regarding the decisions taken by the administrators.

A quote from an article on The Register (tech. based news site which I regularly follow):

The Register said:
Linux distro openSUSE’s public forums have been compromised and defaced and tens of thousands of user email addresses exposed after a hacker exploited a zero day flaw in the underlying vBulletin software.
You can read more about this issue on the OpenSUSE News blog.

But once again it goes to show you that there are still some serious issues which plague vBulletin. So yeah, when looking back I'm very glad that the powers that be made the decision not to continue with it.

graudeejs said:
I just can't find link a to this: search.php
It's a known problem. As a workaround, go to e.g. "View new posts", "View unread posts", "View your posts" or any of those and then go to "Return to advanced search".

Guys, that annoying problem with unconverted tags must be solved :) Can I try to find solution? It would be my small contribution to the community. With whom need I talk for that question?

Board index search box

Despite the statement in the FAQ, I do not see a search box on the board index page, nor a link to the advanced search page. I do see the search box on specific forum pages. Will this be fixed at some future date?

HTML page titles

All of the HTML page titles start with a logo and "The FreeBSD Forums - ". This is certainly nice to identify tabs as being from the FreeBSD forum as opposed to some other site, but it takes a lot of room in a tab heading. If I open four or five threads before reading them it is very hard to tell which is which. I don't remember this being a problem on the old forum. Perhaps just the logo and the thread topic would be more useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back