Political correctness will be our bane

tingo said:
I swear that political correctness will be the end of humanity one day.

Given the purpose of the fortune utility is a absurd measure remove it.
Has anyone realized that the purpose of the fortune cookie program is to
defuse project tensions? When did you ever see a cheerful cookie, a
non-cynical, or even an informative cookie?
Perhaps inadvertently, we have a channel for our aggressions. This
still begs the question [sic] of whether the cookie releases the pressure or only
serves to blunt the warning signs.

Long live the revolution!
Have a nice day.

poisonlux said:
Really? Can anyone explain what was the "offending" file?
man fortune
Code:
     -o      Choose only from potentially offensive aphorisms.  Please,
             please, please request a potentially offensive fortune if and
             only if you believe, deep down in your heart, that you are will-
             ing to be offended.  (And that if you are not willing, you will
             just quit using -o rather than give us grief about it, okay?)

The problem seems to lie in that the people who refuse to read man pages because they're not called person pages are the ones most likely to complain.

ChalkBored said:
man fortune

What? No "woman fortune" nor "person fortune."?

There should at least be a man- I mean people- page for "Here's your damn fortune."

ChalkBored said:
The problem seems to lie in that the people who refuse to read man pages because they're not called person pages are the ones most likely to complain.

I do not "complain" about the lack of "people" pages, I merely express my bit-ching and whining in a creative matter that I see fit, damn it!

http://tinyurl.com/cyo75lp Unfortunately, I had to use the tinyurl service because the settings for acceptable language does not allow a non offensive yet expressive use of the verb form of bit-ch.

drhowarddrfine said:
That requires a subscription but Merriam-Webster says:

I didn't realize it requires subscription. Here's an image of the page.
man.png

sossego said:
I do not "complain" about the lack of "people" pages, I merely express my bit-ching and whining in a creative matter that I see fit, damn it!

I didn't word my comment very well. It wasn't about complaining due to the lack of people pages. It was about the advice in the man page going unread by the people who needed it the most because they were boycotting man pages.

Stupid f*cks. I totally hate this behavior of ignorant not-so-good-people up there.

Here in Russia, meanwhile, we have almost the terminal stage of stupidity on correctness & "morale", supported by goverment and church. Our government has even forced network operators to ban dumb ways to die as a part of "child protection from harmful information". (Actually we've got a huge list of pages that 'should be banned' by network operators because of suicide propaganda, homosexual relationships propaganda, drugs propaganda, that sorts of crap).

ChalkBored said:
I didn't word my comment very well.
It wasn't about complaining due to the lack of people pages. It was about the advice in the man page going unread by the people who needed it the most because they were boycotting man pages.

Dude, I was joking with you. Fortune comes wrapped in a warning.

Does anyone know the context of this change? ie. who complained about what exactly?

The worst part of this is probably:

Code:
> fortune -a
Warning: file "/usr/share/games/fortune/fortunes-o.dat" unreadable
Show me a man who is a good loser and I'll show you a man who is
playing golf with his boss.

There are two obvious problems here:
1. You get an error message
2. As a golf player, I find this fortune is offensive. A formal complaint will be lodged.

Political correctness is false moralism morality cross-dressed in an untouchable truth uniform.

It's the main fashion in which most modern political and alternative activism is manifested.

Glauco said:
Political correctness is false moralism crossdressed in an untouchable truth uniform.

It's the main fashion in wich most modern political and alternative activism is manifested.

It's also toxic to pretty much anything it comes into contact with.

Back