Steam for Linux (Closed Beta)

It's been a while since I first heard about this... Actually a few years ago...

Well there it is.
http://store.steampowered.com/news/9289/

I hope this helps peoples to get out of Windows. I guess I can dream haha

Now, I wonder if there's any way to make it work on linuxulator even though the installer is a .deb file :e

a steam port would be great, but game installation and authenticaton will be seriously tricky. Why don't you talk with valve about this idea?

I hope this helps peoples to get out of Windows.
I guess this leads to even more linuxisms and chaos. Linux as Unix is not ready for average desktop. Not enough mature developers. (I'm not a mature one, in fact, I have a very few code written by myself. My point is, in first place, from users viewpoint seeing all that hals, dbuses, waylands and shitstemd's)
Linux as Linux is ready. Which is different thing, and which is not so good as it could be.

A steam port would be great, but outside of having an functional Nvidia card in your laptop. From what I understand, direct rendering just does not work on Linux emulation with anything else. Politely correct me if I'm wrong on that.

nekoexmachina said:
I guess this leads to even more linuxisms and chaos. Linux as Unix is not ready for average desktop. Not enough mature developers. (I'm not a mature one, in fact, I have a very few code written by myself. My point is, in first place, from users viewpoint seeing all that hals, dbuses, waylands and shitstemd's)
Linux as Linux is ready. Which is different thing, and which is not so good as it could be.
I'm not really sure that Linux is trying to be "Linux as Unix"
Sure hals and systemd are not really good... (reading pure crap), and Wayland being linux specific... but I personally don't have all that much against dbus

zspider said:
A steam port would be great, but outside of having an functional Nvidia card in your laptop. From what I understand, direct rendering just does not work on Linux emulation with anything else. Politely correct me if I'm wrong on that.
I can't really see why you would want to do anything a little bit graphic related on FreeBSD without nVidia since anything else is at best merely working.

D4rkSilver said:
I can't really see why you would want to do anything a little bit graphic related on FreeBSD without nVidia since anything else is at best merely working.

I only really play old games anymore, but there are some 3D accelerated games in Steam and the ports tree that will run reasonably well on the lowly Intel chipset. I did try very hard to find a new laptop with Nvidia and not Optimus, but it seems only high end $2000+ gaming machines let you have the single GPU, like my old Thinkpad did.

zspider said:

you're wrong

nvidia driver has a special module to use direct rendering over linux. a proof of this is games/quake4 (runs faster than a real linux x() intel uses native capabilities on both systems and runs 3d graphics very well too. so a steam port won't be useless

freesbies said:
And Steam® on Freebsd ?
It would be nice guys ;)

Sure a native Steam for FreeBSD would be great but like I said on IRC, I really don't see video games makers ALSO building their game for FreeBSD. Which makes me sad...

D4rkSilver said:
Sure a native Steam for FreeBSD would be great but like I said on IRC, I really don't see video games makers ALSO building their game for FreeBSD. Which makes me sad...

don't worry, you can use linuxulator ;)

ColdfireMC said:
you're wrong

nvidia driver has a special module to use direct rendering over linux. a proof of this is games/quake4 (runs faster than a real linux x() intel uses native capabilities on both systems and runs 3d graphics very well too. so a steam port won't be useless

Ok, so why does RTCW only want to run in software rendering on the Linuxulator, with Intel HD3000 and HD4000 chipsets?. I've tried it on both AMD64 and I386. Is it because the Linux Mesa libraries are not current enough?. Or is just because I'm using 9.1-RC3 and things are not finished?

zspider said:
Ok, so why does RTCW only want to run in software rendering on the Linuxulator, with Intel HD3000 and HD4000 chipsets?. I've tried it on both AMD64 and I386. Is it because the Linux Mesa libraries are not current enough?. Or is just because I'm using 9.1-RC3 and things are not finished?

bad luck :e ?

miscofigured X?

zspider said:

With i386, it's most likely the linux DRI drivers from ports are not current enough. With FreeBSD/amd64, the DRI kernel modules just don't support acceleration of 32-bit apps, though I know there was some work being done on that recently.

Adam

ColdfireMC said:
bad luck :e ?

miscofigured X?

I don't think so, on anything that is native FreeBSD, the acceleration is phenomenal and works, like FooBilliard or Neverball for instance, both games run smooth as silk.

adamk said:
With i386, it's most likely the linux DRI drivers from ports are not current enough. With FreeBSD/amd64, the DRI kernel modules just don't support acceleration of 32-bit apps, though I know there was some work being done on that recently.

Adam

Ok, thanks for that information, guess it's just a matter of waiting patiently. ;)

Will all this do is allow me to access my steam account information? I mean if I download this I'm still not going to be able to play Skyrim on FreeBSD, correct?

It'll be the same Steam as on Windows or OS-X. But obviously you can only play games that have a Linux version available.

Thanks. That is what I thought, just wanted to make sure I was not missing something. The only reason I have steam installed on windows is because Skyrim required it, which pissed me off but that is another thread somewhere else.

bart said:
Has anyone already tried to port steam on FreeBSD ?
The binary requires at least glibc 2.15, so it won't run with linux_base-f10. And there are further dependencies like Pulseaudio 2.0, so good look with porting.

jtsn said:
The binary requires at least glibc 2.15, so it won't run with linux_base-f10. And there are further dependencies like Pulseaudio 2.0, so good look with porting.

I've experienced the same issue. Has anybody tried linux_base-c6 yet?

Back