Dennis Ritchie (September 9, 1941 - October 9, 2011)

RIP, a good man and great engineer.
I remember i had sent him an email some 10 years back, just a hello, and the guy answered. A great person, without whom, nothing of the computing as we know it would be the same today.

I'm disappointed the others "big ones" of computer science.

After few hours of the death of Steve Jobs, Google put a tribute for him on the main page. But nothing for DR.

I'm OK with the fact that medias are not so concerned, but in the industry we have not so much mobilization. :\

I was disappointed of the same thing.
It's really a shame considering the importance of dmr's work for everyone in the industry, and more specifically for companies such as Google that are using Unix-like systems on virtually all their machines.

I'll tell you my opinion. I think that all the major BSD's (FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and DragonFLY) should honor Dennis in their next releases. At least use techies would appreciate it. It might even make Slashdot and then the major players might honor Dennis for his impact in the computing industry today. I am really surprised that Apple and IBM has not already put out some kind of press release. I not surprised that Microsoft hasn't, they think that they are the history of the the modern computing industry.

rbelk said:
I am really surprised that Apple and IBM has not already put out some kind of press release. I not surprised that Microsoft hasn't, they think that they are the history of the the modern computing industry.
I am not suprised, really. You would have to push that trough their PR department and make sure not to ruffle any feathers along that way.
Dennis, whom I did not know personally but who made the impression of being one who convinced with arguments, was IMHO no one for PR. Best let that remain so.

We know that IBMs and Apples' bizz is based on Unix, and they did not toss the least little salute to him. Shame on them.

My condolences to Mr. Ritchie!

While supporting to dedicate future versions of OSes to Mr. Ritchie (whom I wrote some 20 years back to receive a very nice reply), I am also thinking in line of producing a comprehensive writing on the human side of Mr. Ritchie. So if there is anyone who has non-personal emails from him with some quotable quote, I would like to hear from them. Please PM me. Thanks!

Sincere thanks to dmr for inventing, building, and evangelizing a foundation that the rest of us rely on today.

Back