Yahoo! no longer a FreeBSD stronghold?

I propose to delete this thread as it states something that can't be proved....
I did yahoo search on this topic, but I couldn't find anything new....

The problem with this kind of posts is that they appear on top searches and harm community...

darkshadow, if you can't prove your point there is no real point in posting it on the forums. As it stands now it is mere FUD. Where does this come from?

If Yahoo! personnel would like to respond (we have some subscribers from Yahoo!'s headquarters), go right ahead. Otherwise this topic will be removed.

After some digging around...

Yahoo! uses something called Traffic Server, now an Apache project, to handle caching and serving HTTP. From the YDN blog post announcing its open-sourcing, we have:

The v2.0.x releases are all very close to the same code Yahoo! has successfully been using internally for years. [...]

Portability - the 2.0.x releases should build on most common Linux flavors. The upcoming 2.1.0 release also builds on many more UNIX platforms, such as Solaris, FreeBSD, and MacOSX.

Yahoo MObStor seems to be their internal document storage system. In the "short-term radar" section, he mentions in passing that it uses Linux.

I'm sure a lot of acquisitions over the years have brought a lot of Linux into the Yahoo! mothership. Take a look at http://developer.yahoo.com/documentation for an overview of the many segments and branches within Yahoo! I think it's too soon to say "It's all Linux now". Sure, a lot was brought in and adopted, but do we know what all of these projects are running on, or that there aren't a million FreeBSD machines purring away in data centers? I don't. I'm not really sure what that developer network is, exactly. Seems like a Sourceforge-type of setup, so it may simply be an OSS platform powered by Yahoo services acting like some sort of an 'API Farm'.

I know an engineer over at Zimbra, that is owned by Yahoo. He mentioned to me about 1 1/2 years ago that they were phasing out FreeBSD. I could ping him and see if this is still the case. I really hope it isn't.

Sorry, but: FUD until proven otherwise. A 'net search for the relevant terms turns up only this thread at the moment. (And surely this thread doesn't represent any sort of official announcement.)

An anonymous birdie suggests that they're stuck at FreeBSD 6 and phasing out due to its EOL status, FWIW. Would be nice to hear from 'within'.

jgh said:
I know an engineer over at Zimbra, that is owned by Yahoo. He mentioned to me about 1 1/2 years ago that they were phasing out FreeBSD. I could ping him and see if this is still the case. I really hope it isn't.

Nope, Yahoo! sold Zimbra last year to VMWare. Zimbra 7.0 is a VMWare release.

phoenix said:
Nope, Yahoo! sold Zimbra last year to VMWare. Zimbra 7.0 is a VMWare release.

Forgot about that. Still doesn't mean that it would still be the case, though.

After a week, my source finally answered but with no good info:
I couldn't really tell ya, actually. Casually I've seen mainly rhel and less bsd, but I don't spend time at that part of the stack, so I'm not a good or quotable source.

Seems that only 25% of YAHOO! is FreeBSD.

&quot said:
Today, at the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit, Sven Dummer, Director of Linux engineering at Yahoo!, explained that 75% of Yahoo’s Web sites and services run on Linux. The rest? It runs on FreeBSD.

vermaden said:
Seems that only 25% of YAHOO! is FreeBSD.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/yahoo-the-linux-company/8618 said:
Today, at the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit, Sven Dummer, Director of Linux engineering at Yahoo!, explained that 75% of Yahoo’s Web sites and services run on Linux. The rest? It runs on FreeBSD.

Now that's a quote with much more authority. 25% of 100 000 servers is 25 000, that's not exactly ridiculous... Is there a complete transcript of Sven's talk available?

Wow that is kinda sad to hear.

It is good PR when a large (and occasionally successful) company uses 'free' software; kinda real world proof of concept that the stuff works well enough for a company that is interested in profitability to trust it.

Any other high profile companies publicly use FreeBSD?

We shouldn't be getting ourselves down because of this. Many quality products aren't used as much, or even fail in the market place, as those that are popular. As some have said, what has made Linux popular may be to its detriment. Being popular with amateurs should not be a goal but frequently these amateurs become professionals and they use what they're familiar with. Why else would you see Windows in some technical environments where it just seems out of place? Many Linux coders are transplanted Windows coders who try to make Linux work like Windows.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm going off on Linux or start a flame war, I'm not, but trying to make a point.

drhowarddrfine said:
We shouldn't be getting ourselves down because of this. Many quality products aren't used as much, or even fail in the market place, as those that are popular. As some have said, what has made Linux popular may be to its detriment. Being popular with amateurs should not be a goal but frequently these amateurs become professionals and they use what they're familiar with. Why else would you see Windows in some technical environments where it just seems out of place? Many Linux coders are transplanted Windows coders who try to make Linux work like Windows.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm going off on Linux or start a flame war, I'm not, but trying to make a point.

Yahoo! used FreeBSD for over 20 years. During a time of which they where an up and coming company with silly ads on tv. During a time of exponential growth. If FreeBSD advocacy is in question I would still say that 20+ years of scaling even during it's peak era is still worth its weight in gold.

Back