Broadcom chipset

Hi!

I am new to FreeBSD. I am using Crunchbang Linux. I'd like to try the FreeBSD system. I have a Dell Vostro 1015 laptop and a Broadcom 4312 WiFi chipset in my machine. Can I use my WiFi network with my system? Is it supported with FreeBSD? Thanks in advance.

Ferenc

Welcome to FreeBSD, @pafe :) Usefully, a set of hardware notes are published for each FreeBSD release detailing what chipsets are supported. From the FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE hardware notes, section 3.5 "Wireless Network Interfaces":
The bwi(4) driver supports Broadcom BCM43xx based wireless devices, including:
- Dell Wireless 1390
- Dell Wireless 1470

Hopefully the bwi(4) driver should cater for either of the cards that might be in your Vostro 1015 (from the Dell support page I see it is has either the Dell Wireless WLAN 1397 or Dell Wireless WLAN 1510). The "Wireless Networking" section of the FreeBSD handbook describes how to get set up.

Last edited by a moderator:
pafe said:
Hi!

I am new to FreeBSD. I am using Crunchbang Linux. I'd like to try the FreeBSD system. I have a Dell Vostro 1015 laptop and a Broadcom 4312 WiFi chipset in my machine. Can I use my WiFi network with my system? Is it supported with FreeBSD? Thanks in advance.

Ferenc

Just to give you an idea about Broadcom at my work we have a policy of not using Broadcom or Marvell controllers due to the poor quality. Only Intel ;)

Back