Raspberry Pi

My apologies if this query has been posted before.

Has anyone attempted to boot FreeBSD ARM port on http://www.raspberrypi.org/?

I'd very much obliged if someone has any information on this. Qt 5 is going to have a port for this, so if that works on the top of FreeBSD, than nothing like it.

I've some word from contacts in Nokia that they have a batch of these boards. I'm not sure about public release though.

Not publically released yet, no. Drivers might be a problem for FreeBSD, as the SOC is a proprietary Broadcom with a proprietary GPU. I'm guessing the Linux drivers will just be binary blobs.

256MiB and 100Mbit port is a slight turnoff IMHO.

You won't be able to run FreeBSD on this. It uses a Boardcom BCM2835 CPU, which isn't supported.

I think they will be supported soon. With that price they will become a mass market thing! Well unless somebody closes specifications for the chip or something.

Does the Raspberry PI project need a Bounty to get moving?

This project could possibly be one of the most deserving of the porting teams attention, and the goals of the project fit in very well with that of BSD's.

Getting young people back into programming and tinkering and actually thinking is of great priority, and I can only think that this project needs a good bounty to get it going.

The question then is what vehicle/mechanism do we use to raise funds to focus porters?

One option could be Kickstarter?

Anyone else have any ideas?

FreeBSD for the Raspberry Pi single board computer?

Hi,
Just a quick suggestion, It would be great if FreeBSD supported the Raspberry Pi.
btw RPi uses ARM.

The difficulty is finding a way for the FreeBSD ARM and a Linux- Debian seems to be the main distro with a lot of ARM support- ARM group to work together.

All Raspberry topics have now been merged. Keep talk in this one topic please.

Back