libpng-devel

Hello,

Using FreeBSD for the first time. Need to compile some code that needs libpng (so in fedora for instance I would need libpng-devel). How do I install that?

It is not in ports/devel neither in port/graphics and a search of this forum provides very little help.

Thanks.

graphics/png

A forum search for libpng points to this port at least five times on the first page of search results (titles alone). Moreover, in the ports infrastructure, libxyz usually points to an application xyz which you can find using e.g. ports-mgmt/psearch.

Ok, I had already installed png. My mistake was to think png.h would be in /usr/include when in fact was placed /usr/local/include.

As I said this is the first time I use FreeBSD... problem solved.

Thanks

You should probably spend some time with the Handbook, and with the information in here: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=9294 (esp. the very first article).

The sooner you realize the fundamental differences between Linux and FreeBSD (most notably the strict separation between base system (/usr) and third-party software (/usr/local/) the sooner you will find your way around file and directories.

And before I forget: read your signup email about writing and formatting proper forum posts.

Back