zxfer - transfer everything on ZFS automatically

Hi,

Today I'm releasing a script zxfer that I've been writing and testing over the last several months in email collaboration with Constantin Gonzalez (link to his blog, Constant Thinking). Constantin is the author of sysutils/zfs-replicate, which zxfer is a fork of. I hope people can try it and give some feedback, let me know of any bugs etc.

Here is a blurb:
Zxfer is a fork of Constantin Gonzalez's zfs-replicate, with many additional features (80%+ of code is new). In a nutshell, the aim of zxfer is to make backups, restores and transfers on ZFS filesystems able to be done with a single command, while having similar end-to-end assurance of data integrity as the ZFS filesystem itself.

Features include:

* recursive transfer of filesystems (via snapshots).
* minimal dependencies. Runs from /bin/sh, and only requires sysutils/rsync if that is used instead of zfs send/receive.
* to transfer filesystem properties, and override specified properties (e.g. compression, copies, dedup etc.)
* backup original properties to a file so as to be able to restore them later.
* transfer via rsync. Useful when different snapshotting regimes are used on source and destination.
* delete snapshots on destination not present on source, and transfer from the latest common snapshot - this allows using snapshot management programs like sysutils/zfs-snapshot-mgmt and painless backups at the same time.
* a comprehensive man page.
* beep when done; useful for long transfers.
* compatible with FreeBSD, OpenSolaris and Solaris 11 Express.

Edit: To install, see the next post. It's now in ports so manual installation is no longer desirable.

I strongly suspect that if you use ZFS at all, this has potential to make your life a lot easier. Note also that it's BSD licensed.

Back