ZFS ZVOL (error=63)

Hi,

I know it's a known bug, but I just want to clarify a few things, because it's not clear for me.
So, when the ZVOL name is too long, and volmode is set to GEOM, we see that no device is created under /dev/zvol... path, and we can see error=63 in /var/log/messages. My understanding was that GEOM has some issues with longer names, and that's the cause.
So in theory after changing volmode to 'dev' I expected that the issue will be gone. But I received similar errors:
ZFS WARNING: Unable to create ZVOL zdata/somelongnameaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The above log is about ZVOL itself, not the device, so it seems like ZFS also has some name long limitations.

In the end I found that on FBSD 13.0 there will be feature 'snapdev' which will hide the snapshots. But for me, it doesn't solve the issue, because in my case it's not snapshot that has too long name but ZVOL, and I want to mount the ZVOL block device.
'snapdev' function explained -> https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=251578

So my question is, is it possible to just increase the limits for block device and ZVOL names?

Back