ZFS ZFS - used/avail magic

Hi folks,

I just deleted the contents of a ZFS dataset and found some information which seems weird to me, maybe I missed something and someone of you could enlighten me.
Before deletion, "zfs list" showed me "USED 285G, AVAIL 775G, REFER 285G". I did not have a snapshot, and deleted everything under that dataset with "rm -Rf *" - the content were disk images of notebooks made with dd but also the disk contents of MS Windows partitions (users files). After deletion, I got "USED 336K, AVAIL 633G, REFER 336K". How is that?

Also: I cannot destroy the dataset because it says "cannot unmount '/storage/2017ex': Device busy" - fstat and lsof not listing any open files. This is a FreeBSD 12.0 machine.

I just discovered that my colleague made a checkpoint in January ... maybe this weird information was showing due to that fact.

You can delete the snapshot if no longer needed.
Snapshots are not to be confused with checkpoints. I deleted the checkpoint. However, it's still not clear to me why deleting files before the checkpoint cost me roughly 150GB instead of freeing that amount.

Back