ZFS status, is it stable in 8.0-RELEASE?

Hi!

I was just wondering what status ZFS has in 8.0-RELEASE?
Is it stable enough to run on a production server or is there still some bugs and errors?

I read that its not experimental anymore but does that mean its stable?

Thanks

k1piee said:
I read that its not experimental anymore but does that mean its stable?
Yes, it was stable even when it was still experimental.

Well, there were enough glitches in the past even in Solaris, but it's mature now. Just two things to remember: 64 bit and 2G+ of memory are a must for _reliable_ operation. Anything below that is comparable to a ride on a rocket, maybe suitable for someones Desktop.

Personally I would say that it is very stable now. Ever since ZFS v13 made it into 7-STABLE, I have had no issues that weren't directly caused by myself (even then it was relatively minor).

I also have my dev machine running 8.0-RELEASE-p1 on ZFS root/boot, with a freshly created three drive RAIDZ pool. So far things have been smooth.

Yes its very stable, i have had no issues using it for my desktop and router for load balancing

Hi,

I was wondering how stable it ZFS is... we just got this strange error on one of our backup zfs file servers that was just upgraded to 8.0.

Code:
panic: solaris assert:0 = =dmu_buf_hold_arrays (os, object, offset, offset, size, false, ftag, & numbufs, & dpp), file: /usr/src/modules
/zfs/../../cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/dmu.c, line: 607
cpuid=0

I've not been able to find any clues as to the problem.

Any ideas?

Also, which is the best forum to post a question like this in? I'm new to the forums here (but not new to freebsd as I've been using it in production for ten years now).

Thanks,

Peter

Back