ZFS ZFS Shows conflicting Stats

Hello everyone,

I've setup a vm to do some testing with FreeBSD/ZFS.
My vm consists of 4 HDD's (1x20 GB where FreeBSD resides, 3x 2 GB for the zpool) and received a simulated drive failure by removing one disk from the system.

I've created a raid-z pool and was able to "dd" 17 G of Data into that pool. (Hows that possible ? ).

Furthermore "zpool list" shows me that only 168K are allocated. I've attached a screenshot to give you a short overview of my problem because from my point of view it's not possible to store 17 G of data in a zpool which max. size should be 4 G / 6 G w/o parity.

zfs.PNG

I've created a raid-z pool and was able to "dd" 17 G of Data into that pool. (Hows that possible ? ).

What data did you dd-ed ? zeroes ? with compression enabled ? that would explain the limited amount of effectively used space.

What data did you dd-ed ? zeroes ? with compression enabled ? that would explain the limited amount of effectively used space.

The base filesystem is full, so the dd data is on the UFS partition and not on the zpool.

I'm guessing the pool isn't mounted on /pool1. So your files simply end up on the root filesystem.

See zfs mount.
Thank you.
Indeed, zfs mount did not return anything. zfs mount -a solved the problem and now it is acting like it should.

I thought when a pool is created then fstab is edited accordingly.

I thought when a pool is created then fstab is edited accordingly.

fstab is never modified by ZFS. While you can use an fstab file to manage ZFS datasets, it quickly becomes unwieldy when you're dealing with a lot of them. (My laptop alone has 28 datasets. My home server has over twice that.)

ZFS stores all its mount data on its own. The first time you boot a system with a ZFS pool attached you need to put zfs_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf. After that, a record of what was mounted on the system is stored internally by the pool, and all mounted datasets should be mounted again the next time you boot. The operating system also records all ZFS pools that were imported on the system in /boot/zfs/zpool.cache and references that file on boot to see what ZFS pools should be imported.

Back