ZFS ZFS reverse drive state from degraded to online

Hello FreeBSD community, How are you?

Firstly, sorry my if I don't express my self properly, I don't speak English very well.

I work in a data recovery company and from time to time in my job we receive a raid with zfs. In general, the pool is never to damage I can't recover the data using a freebsd, in general the data recovery software programs I don't know why they have problems to read a pool and assemble all file system.

I forget to mention I work with clones of the client drives and here come my question, the last pool I recover was a raid-z1 and the pool can lose one drive, until the moment I did not receive a pool very damage with more than one drive in degraded status. And how I clone the drives to work and for more than zpool status indicate the drive is degraded, in reality the clone is a health device but zfs sees it like degraded is possible change this state force a degraded device to online, and i am doing this question for the day i receive i pool with more than one drive in a degraded state.

Thanks very much to all persons who take their time to read me. I hope every one understand me question.
My best regards.

It might be in a degraded state because the meta data got corrupted too. And your image simply copied that corrupted meta data. But a RAID-Z pool in a degraded state is still accessible. If one more drive would be missing (or corrupted) then the pool would be in a FAILED state, not DEGRADED. FAILED is bad, DEGRADED just means one of the copies of the data is missing.

Recover the data from the degraded pool using zfs-send(8). Then use that image to zfs-receive(8) it on a new pool. Or zpool replace the broken disk with a new one and let the pool resilver itself.

Back