ZFS on a netbook with 2 GB RAM and CPU Intel Atom N280?

Kalero

Hi,

I'm thinking of installing FreeBSD 13 on a little netbook I have (Sony Vaio Mini VPCW12J1E) and I wonder if it would be a good idea to install it on ZFS. The netbook has 2 GB RAM (it originally came with 1 GB but I upgraded it to 2 GB) and CPU Intel Atom N280.

What would you recommend?

Thanks.

Argentum

Aspiring Daemon

I'm thinking of installing FreeBSD 13 on a little netbook I have (Sony Vaio Mini VPCW12J1E) and I wonder if it would be a good idea to install it on ZFS. The netbook has 2 GB RAM (it originally came with 1 GB but I upgraded it to 2 GB) and CPU Intel Atom N280.

What would you recommend?
You can give it a try. I think it is all right. I am running ZFS on Bhyve VM-s (yes, on VM-s, not only on the main machine). My VM-s are usually small with just 2Gigs of RAM. ZFS works just fine.

OP
Kalero

Kalero

Thanks for your reply, Argentum.

By the way, the netbook has BIOS and the disk has an MBR partition table. Is it possible to create the ZFS pool in the free space alongside the Windows installation which is already there, considering it's a BIOS/MBR environment?

Thanks.

Argentum

Aspiring Daemon

By the way, the netbook runs with BIOS and the disk has an MBR partition table. Is it possible to create the ZFS pool in the free space alongside the Windows installation which is already there?
You should search this forum about FreeBSD multi-boot.

scottro

Daemon

Yes, it's a little tricky, but not terribly hard. patovm04 has a tutorial on it with UEFI, but I would think you can modify that to use it with BIOS boot.

OP
Kalero

Kalero

Yes, it's a little tricky, but not terribly hard. patovm04 has a tutorial on it with UEFI, but I would think you can modify that to use it with BIOS boot.
Yeah... I had already looked at that tutorial, but he explicitly says it only works for UEFI/MBR environments.

ralphbsz

Son of Beastie

I successfully run a small server with an Atom D525 (a bit bigger) with 3GB of memory, using ZFS. No problems. Obviously not the ideal setup, but I think it will work.