Solved zfs mount failed with error 5

Hi all, thanks for your help in advance!

After a power failure last night, my BSD server will no longer boot correctly. It is a Dell R710 server with six disks in a raidz2 and a PERC raid controller where each drive is its own mfi device - I know this is not the optimal controller but it is the machine I had. It has been running fine for years - I am not sure which version of BSD is on it, but I believe it is 11.

When booting, it hangs in mountroot with the message: "Mounting from zfs:zroot/ROOT/default failed with error 5."
The loader variable is:

vfs.root.mountfrom=zfs:/zroot/ROOT/default

Hitting the ? at the mountroot prompt shows a large number of devices. There are:
/gpt/zfs[0-5]
/gpt/gptboot[0-5]
mfid[0-5]
mfip[0-5]p[1-3]
and a few others for the cd and USB.

Booting from a USB stick and using "zfs import" I can see that the zfs pool is online with all disks online.

I am at a loss at what to do and want to be careful not to lose data from the pool. I don't know what else to post here, but am totally open to collecting other data if it will help resolve the problem.

I went to ensure that it was the case it was there, and in attempting to mount the pool to check found that it was corrupted, though it did say it was online. It said to mount it with -F and I would lose the final six seconds of data, but then to scrub the pool

I mounted it with zpool -f -F -R /mnt zroot, which went fine, and it is now scrubbing. Hopefully it will boot again when complete.

Back