ZFS ZFS + FAULTED corrupted data + 12.1

Hi everyone !

Hope I post this on the right channel.

I encountered some issue with my pool zfs on freebsd 12
It assume one on my hard drive is down. :-/

1677317696833.png

It is the first time I have to deal with that and I need some advice.

I would like to be able to mount my pool to process a backup of the last data that was on it. Based on the fact that it is a raid5/raidz I assume its possible but I don't know how.

The other part is, what will be the process to change it properly : I won't do the physical change itself, my provider will do. But for the sofware part and zfs part it will be all by my own.

Thank you for your help

Yes, if only one drive is broken you should still be able to access a RAID-Z volume. But, it looks like the output isn't complete. It appears to be a striped set of RAID-Z volumes. I'm wondering what the state of raidz1-1 is, in other words the rest of the zroot pool. Because if it is a striped set of RAID-Z and the other set is entirely faulty then the resulting RAID-0 (striped set) is faulted too.

Also note that 12.1 has been EoL since January 2021. I'm assuming you just wanted to access it to rescue some data?

Thank you for the answer SirDice,

I'm not sure what you mean about :
it looks like the output isn't complete. It appears to be a striped set of RAID-Z volumes.
I'm wondering what the state of raidz1-1 is
I have only the raidz1-0. Only 3 hard drive are installed and I used it in that raidz.
For my understanding the 1-0 means "the first raidz vdev". If an other was created the name would be raidz1-1. Am I correct ?

I checked some solution and find some that could work :
1/ Physically =swap the faulted disk for a new one
2/ zpool replace zroot /dev/adaX

But I also read that I would have to get the fault drive offline or at list detached (zpool detach).

Can anyone clarify the correct steps to take to replace this faulted drive?

Thanks

Unfortunately zpool status return an error. I can't even import it so the zpool status said no pool was found.

1677587747625.png

Physically remove that broken disk. See if that helps. So only attach the two working drives. It should still be in a DEGRADED state but that's expected. A RAID-Z should still be accessible in a degraded state.

Hi,
So I was working to figure it out what make that error...
I replaced the damaged hard drive. So now I still have 3 hard drives in my server. The one I replaced and the 2 others that are still in my server.
From there, nothing change. The errors message are still the same :(
I try to use zdb to get more information (file attached to that post)
Also I made a screenshot when I try to boot without live cd : the error is this one :

1679848487100.png

Any idea ?

Attachments

• ada0.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 46
  • ada1.txt
    492 bytes · Views: 40
  • ada2.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 57
Also note that 12.1 has been EoL since January 2021. I'm assuming you just wanted to access it to rescue some data?
Yes, I wanted to process some backup before to moved to the new release

Back