ZFS zf_open not a file error

So I have a geli-encrypted install. On the FreeBSD boot options screen that appears after unlocking the drive, this error message comes.

It writes itself onto the screen the middle of my boot options. Aside from vandalizing my boot options, everything seems to work fine.

Last edited:
Ok, last effort on this, here's a screen shot of the error:

bootscreen.png

Attachments

• bootscreen.png
    bootscreen.png
    438 KB · Views: 71
I get the same zf_open: not a file and would also be happy to get rid of it.
I recently deleted all of my /usr/local/, maybe for some reason the bootloader is looking for something there that it cannot find?

... problem solved for me: there were .pkgsave files in /boot/modules, I deleted them and that error message stopped showing up.

Thanks for this suggestion. I don't seem to have any such files in /boot/loader though.

find . -name "*.pkgsave" turns up nothing, and even searching the whole system from / only turns up
./usr/local/sbin/pkg-static.pkgsave
./usr/local/etc/rc.d/virtual_oss.pkgsave

Maybe you have some other files in /boot/modules/ with an extension that is not recognised by the loader?
After deleting my .pkgsave files I now only have .ko files, the only exception being linker.hints

1625053638854.png

The same ugly thing... Is it certainly "zf_open" or is it corrupted "bzf_open"? - that is the question...
I believe I have no extra files in my OS's system dirs.

I get the same zf_open: not a file and would also be happy to get rid of it.
I recently deleted all of my /usr/local/, maybe for some reason the bootloader is looking for something there that it cannot find?
Normally the loader does not care about the contents of /usr/local.
Because the loader runs before the root filesystem is mounted which contains /usr/local.

Back